Indestructable headphones

fireball40k

Does anyone have any suggestions for a set of headphones for my drum and bass addicted son? I've lost count of the number of headphones that just haven't stood up to the daily battering that he gives them.

I need to find the right mix of decent sound response (especially heavy bass), better than average cable quality and not too expensive (preferably less than £80). They would need a 3.5mm jack.

Any thoughts?

Headphones bought with his cash will last a lot longer the those bought with yours.

A Father! <_<

I know! I tried that approach a few years back and they STILL didn't last!

Does he want over ear headphones, or would a set of earbuds do him?

He's always had over ear headphones in the past, apart from the earbuds that came with the iPhone (although I know they're not representative of proper in ears). I would guess that they are whipped on and off all day long, so for practicality, it'll need to be the big ones.

Cheers so far.

DT-100's have a very flat eq curve, many people don't like how they sound. I personally love the sound to them. Anything by Sennheiser are great sounding but maybe not that durable, I would recommend thoroughly them for normal use but for 'indestructible' maybe not. A good comprimise is something from AKG, my first pair (K171 MK2) have never broken yet. Mine are a little too bass heavy for me but that could be perfect for you. Most products may need an adapter (quite a few come with them in the package)

p.s. If anybody mentions Beats hit them, and hit them hard enough to know not to mention them again.

I've had my DT150s for 8 years now, they are a more bass heavy DT100 essentially, but I have taken out a driver once whilst using them as monitors while drumming, when a monitor engineer routed kick drum (that I didn't ask for or want) back to me at twice the level of the rest of the mix.

Aside from that they have been rock solid.

I've always used the Beyer DT 100's for work and sennheiser HD 25's for play. I am amazed you can get the DT 100's for the money (add to favotites) and they would be an excellent purchase although with very little street cred but if thats not a problem they get my vote unless you can afford 50% more for the sennheisers.

Good christmas either way

I like Ultrasone, they are quite sturdy and a little bass-heavy, maybe the HFI450 or 550 will last him for a while.

Anyway, what does he do with his phones, that makes them go kaputt every so often?

And I second the opinion of Father Mark here... :P

Norbert

Thanks for the suggestions so far, it gives me a starting point into a, quite frankly, dizzying array of choices. I notice that there is a quite wide variance in stated impedances for the range of headphones available. For use mainly with an iPhone (and requiring a good bass response), should I be looking for as low an impedance as possible?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a pair of Zagg earbuds for day to day listening. The cable is sheathed in their magic patented plastic they use for device protection. I would have thought that plastic used to protect the edge of helicopter blades would be pretty indestructible. I know that you cannot push a ball point pen through it with human power as I have tried it. After about 10 mins it had restored to the point where it was almost unnoticeable that I had stretched it.

Shame I saw this too late as they had a msssive cyber monday sale recently.

This a very different suggestion....

2 years ago, a relative of mine bought me a ten quid pair of headphones (jack jones - you can get them from ebay).

After pretending to be really happy with those c***** headphones I gave them a try. Bass response was great, nice sounding, comfortable to wear and they have been torchered both audibly and physically for two years and still work like new.

Yep,.I was shocked too.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, it gives me a starting point into a, quite frankly, dizzying array of choices. I notice that there is a quite wide variance in stated impedances for the range of headphones available. For use mainly with an iPhone (and requiring a good bass response), should I be looking for as low an impedance as possible?

For higher impedance headphones a greater voltage at lower current is required for the same sound pressure level. As battery powered devices are usually more limited in the voltage that the headphone amp can produce then lower impedance phones will probably be better.

For example my Sennheiser HD25 are 70Ω and perfectly loud enough driven from an iPhone. The standard version of the Beyerdynamic DT-100 are 400Ω and the DT-250 are 250Ω neither are suitable for use with a battery driven device.

As far as I can tell Beyer don't make anything in the £80 bracket that are suitable. Their cheapest closed back low impedance models are:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynamic_dt660_edition_2007.htm

Which are £114 plus delivery.

There's the cut down version of the Sennheiser HD 25 (the SP version) which comes in at £104

http://www.thomann.de/gb/sennheiser_hd25_sp.htm?sid=4b080a49bc47b984d11d91f958b3ddec

p.s. If anybody mentions Beats hit them, and hit them hard enough to know not to mention them again.

One of the features is a 16-32Ohm impedance to make them suitable for being driven by phones. While for any professional application and anything mains powered they are the wrong solution I'm afraid producing high SPLs and large amounts of bass from phone is what they are designed for. However even discounted by Amazon they are slightly above the budget at just over £100

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beats-Solo-On-Ear-Headphones-Control/dp/B008EQ1ZBA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1355259842&sr=8-3

Archived