Which portable soldering iron?

BlueShift

Hi Guys,

Its new soldering iron time (I know, exciting...).

I have a selection of mains powered fellas which work great for the bench jobs, but I need something super portable to take in my super portable compact tool kit.

3pin XLRs and Mic cable is the largest gauge stuff this will need to work with. Most of the time It will be smaller DB connectors etc...

So I'd like some recommendations on gas or battery powered products. Not interested in another mains iron. Battery powered is particularly interesting because I always have ready access to batteries, and it saves having to carry around little gas refills.

So, anyone had any success here?

Thanks!

I have always used Antex Gascat gas irons for the last decade and found them to be faultless. They have a variety of sizes each on its own or in a kit as eell as selling a variety of nibs seperately including heat gun, blow torch, hot knife along with a variety of solder tips plus a heat shield. What I do find however is me filing down nibs as they dont go quitee small enough for some applications.

I hope this helps.

I bought a battery powered on a few years ago. It lives in my small toolbox and very occasionally it will get me out of a problem, but if I know I'm going to want to be soldering without mains power then I always take my Antex gas powered one.

The battery one will, with brand new batteries, will just about get hot enough for a 3 pin XLR, but I usually can't do the screen of a Neutrik jack plug. It's usually fine for doing bad joints on a circuit board. But used batteries from radio mics do not get it hot enough to do anything.

Out of curiosity I picked up a cheap (well £15 from Maplin/£10 from CPC) battery powered soldering iron. Heats up in about 15 seconds and will do DSub and XLR's reasonably well. Fairly light and reasonably balanced - great for those XLR's that need soldered when up a ladder...

Out of curiosity I picked up a cheap (well £15 from Maplin/£10 from CPC) battery powered soldering iron.

Like this one? Looks to be a bigger brother of mine, which is only 3V. Would you mind seeing if it will do NP2X (or similar) for me? Fixing (usually other peoples) jack leads seems to be the main reason I need to solder when I'm away from my workbench!

Archived