Ethernet hubs & Senn G3

ghance

Hi,

Racking up our Senn. G3 receivers into 4-way racks I'd like to connect the ethernet management ports into a 5-way hub (1 in, 4 out) for quick setup.. and ideally one with a built in wireless AP like the TP-Link TL-WR743 or similar.

Should I be concerned about RF noise? .. is placing an ethernet switch or AP very close to a bunch of receivers likely to cause issues?

1 -has anyone had problems?

2- any recommended make / models - We use Apple Airport Express in back of our M7's & LS9's for the audio port.. but obviously need something with at least 5 ports for a 4-way Senn RX rack.

Thanks

.gh

Hi,

We've racked up 12 of our G3's with a 20-way network switch for about a year now without any problems at all. We've tried a few times to use a wireless router for WSM but could never get all the radios to show up on the software! There seemed to be no interference from the router though!

Hope that helps!

George

I've made WSM work wirelessly a number of times, it is helpful but most of the time I'd rather have a piece of cable. The great thing is you don't need to be a network engineer to make it work, just plug it all together and its there. Only thing I would say is using a 6 port switch would enable you to 'link' in and out of a rack into a second without the need for an additional switch. Helpful on the larger jobs where you might be putting in 8 or 12 ways of RF.

Although the idea of of one box is great, it might be better to use a simple 8 port switch and a seperate simple wireless AP (i.e. one that is not a router, I think the d0me5tic market call them extenders or some other confusing name??)

That means very straight forward programming of the AP for SSID/security etc, plus it can be quickly powered off in case of problems whilst still leaving the wired part working.

Unless of course you need DHCP funtionality.... then back to the router :rolleyes:

We have several racks of Sennheiser receivers which are networked via Netgear rack-mounted 1-gig switches. Although we have never, as far as I'm aware, run WSM wirelessly, for large musicals the receiver racks are regularly situated on the SR perch, where they sit directly beneath a wireless AP for the LX dept.'s venue-wide wireless network - and I'm not aware of any problems with RF issues.

I second Heapsy's comments.

Get a mini Netgear swtich (ES range), velcro it to the side of the rack. Then use a dedicated AP, or piece of cable.

Don't use DHCP, you want everything to have static IP addresses, and then its a piece of cake!

I'm generally not a fan of all in one routers w/ wireless APs. mainly because the d0m3stic ones you are looking at have a much much higher failiure rate than a standalone switch, and its a less flexible system. A dedicated AP allows you to have a number of networked devices in your rig, and have one wireless network to access them, instead of ending up with a bunch of networks for wireless kit, consoles, etc...

Thanks for replies.. having mulled it over I've come to same conclusion.. an 8 way switch velcro'd to back of rack is the way forward with a standalone AP if the need arises.

Metal desktop type like a Netgear FS108 or ZyXel ES108.

Discounted 5-port as the price is much the same and having an extra port to cascade from rack to rack is a bonus. maybe even get flash with a 1U panel with 8x D-types (4x XLR, 2x Ethercon, 2x Powercon)

NEXT: - Power.. hmmm.. coming from Shure U4 this business of having half a dozen wall warts in the back of a rack seems pony.. what is the standard solution? just live with it? or buy a single high power 12v PSU and splitters?

cheers

Archived