Stands slipping

DSA

Hi,

Just to check, some Doughty (rated at 40kg) stands, should not slip (ie on the telesdopic shaft points) under the wieght of:

a) 3 S4 Zooms (about 9kg each) and a multicre spider?

b) 4 Selecon 1k Fresnels (4.6kg each) and a multicore spider?

I have called out the hire company..but just want to make sure that it's not just my error...(hence a possible charge)

Thanks,

David

OK. Company have been out and replaced some stands with Manfrottos, which was very good of them. His opinion was that the black coating of the shaft was probably reducing the friction between the clamp and the shaft, to a point where it could not properly support the SWL. He added that the carrying capacity would probably improve over time as the black coating wore down. Seems a perfectly reasonabe expaination to me...

...but should Doughty be selling stands with the black coating, if it acts in this way??

David

OK...a replacement Manfrotto Wind-up has now also failed on me. I wonder if ths show is just going wrong from start to finish.

The handle has sheared off at the point where it splits about the pin. Metal Fatigue I guess - all bolts undone on the telescopic bit etc and handle locking nut done up etc. etc. At least it was "down" at the time...

Has anyone had that before? I thought Manfrottos were one of the best in the way of stands. Perhaps we were just dammed unlucky.

David

Archived