projection mapping hardware

Decibel Addict

I need some help with a video projection project I have to tech in a few weeks.

We have 8 x projectors doing an almost in the round projection mapped set for A Christmas Carol. The mapped set is because we have no space to do a trad set, plus the immersive 360 thing is to make it more impressive and reduce the dependency on lighting.

the problem I have is getting it all to work on a shoestring, particularly the video server. I'm looking to use VPT on a PC, with a 6 output ATI card that can create a single display stretched across all outputs. I'd then be using a few matrox units to split a few of the outputs up to get a total of 8 sends.

I need some advice:

Has anyone used the aforementioned setup, and know of any issues or bugs. Could anyone recommend an alternative that would be low cost?

Does anyone have any Matrox triple/dual head units plus a few active miniDP to VGA adaptors? I'd be looking to rent them for 10 days in december. IF anyone has a rig that could do all of the above, and willing to rent it out for charity money in december that would be the dream! I'm also short of a few 4k projectors if anyone has old stock that could go out for the aforementioned pennies.

thanks for your help!

Dan

youd be better with a pair of datapath x4s on a dual dvi video card, that will give you what you need with a lot less faff. Id also not be over ambitious with your resolutions, if your contents good you will get away with murder and it means your system will run smooth. Im working on a job at the moment where a single 1920 / 1080 frame feeds 4 projectors with 2 900/675 and 2 534 / 400 areas within that scaled to xga and fed to 4 projectors.

hopefully you have resonably low expectations as to what 8 different scrounged projectors will look like on the same surface. its enough of a challenge getting 8 "identiclal" units to look similar let alone totally different ones. id suggest that you invest in a bit of ND to attempt to even things out...

I have 2 servers that will do what you need.

1 pc, one mac the pc has 10 outs and the mac has 8

it depends what charity money is

Hi Jason

thanks for your reply. I suppose I run the risk of simply offending you with the money I have available to spend on this. We've only got about £300 for this (hence my desire to cobble something together with a gaming graphics card etc.) it would be from the 7th to 17th December.

let me know if this is even vaguely possible

cheers!

Daniel

youd be better with a pair of datapath x4s on a dual dvi video card, that will give you what you need with a lot less faff. Id also not be over ambitious with your resolutions, if your contents good you will get away with murder and it means your system will run smooth. Im working on a job at the moment where a single 1920 / 1080 frame feeds 4 projectors with 2 900/675 and 2 534 / 400 areas within that scaled to xga and fed to 4 projectors.

hopefully you have resonably low expectations as to what 8 different scrounged projectors will look like on the same surface. its enough of a challenge getting 8 "identiclal" units to look similar let alone totally different ones. id suggest that you invest in a bit of ND to attempt to even things out...

I was looking at that, but struggling to find X4's for hire. on the projector variations, what are you referring to with ND? the client expectations have been shaped to expect large variations in the images, luckily we're creating content that effectively masks that effect.

cheers

Daniel

we have a few x4s in the hirestock and could preconfigure them if required .

ND means neutral denity ie grey gel, you will need this to even things out if you end up without a load of matched units. good luck as to do this properly even at the sharp end of things you need a 0 on your budget. ... im assuming you are well aware of the man hours required to prepare the creative and that with projectors without lens shift on a makeshift server the lineups not going to be a laugh... but it can be done.

Cheers, do you have a contact that I can call for a price on the X4's?

DM

we have a few x4s in the hirestock and could preconfigure them if required .

ND means neutral denity ie grey gel, you will need this to even things out if you end up without a load of matched units. good luck as to do this properly even at the sharp end of things you need a 0 on your budget. ... im assuming you are well aware of the man hours required to prepare the creative and that with projectors without lens shift on a makeshift server the lineups not going to be a laugh... but it can be done.

Archived