Gel scrollers

yourtechystuff

Good and expensive scrollers regularly foul up and need calibration and maintenance, and expensive scrolls replacing regularly. They can also be quite noisy as they have cooling fans that have to run continuously, and are noisy whilst scrolling.

Cheap second hand scrollers will be a pain and burden and I suspect will rarely do what you want them to, especially in a school where regular maintenance won't happen.

My advice would be to buy some form of colour mixing light. Chauvet's led kit is very good for the money.

Good and expensive scrollers regularly foul up and need calibration and maintenance, and expensive scrolls replacing regularly. They can also be quite noisy as they have cooling fans that have to run continuously, and are noisy whilst scrolling.

Cheap second hand scrollers will be a pain and burden and I suspect will rarely do what you want them to, especially in a school where regular maintenance won't happen.

My advice would be to buy some form of colour mixing light. Chauvet's led kit is very good for the money.

ok thanks we just needed some for some shows so we dont have A buy new lights and also so we dont have to change them as oftern

LED fixtures are great for many things. I agree that Chauvet make some nice affordable units, we have six Q-Wash 560Z. However, none of the LED fixtures can accurately reproduce colours. Fred Foster of ETC says as much himself, despite having invested heavily in LED technology. We did a comparison a couple of days ago between a Q-Wash, a Chroma Q Color Force and a Source 4 with L201. We could get the LEDs close to the S4 but not the same, and this was on a white wall - not a multicoloured surface.

If you want accurate colour rendition then use a full spectrum, incandescent source with a gel.

The cost of a decent RGB LED fixture is going to be more than a conventional plus a scroller and a lot more if you already have the light and just need the colour changer.

I don't disagree Kit.

However I do think there is some point of compromise where the led kit is very low maintenance and scrollers are not.

My experience in schools is that capital funding is easier to find than maintenance funding and that high maintenance kit tends to get abandoned in a corner because no one knows how to fix it and no one dares admit it.

My experience in schools is that capital funding is easier to find than maintenance funding and that high maintenance kit tends to get abandoned in a corner because no one knows how to fix it and no one dares admit it.

This is sadly very true, and not just in schools.

Archived