Guest lightnix

What do you think ?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think ?

• More people are joining the Industry than 10 years ago
    • Recruitment levels are about the same as 10 years ago
    • Fewer people are joining the Industry than 10 years ago

Guest lightnix
There have been a number of comments made over the last decade or so, about how there seem to be fewer young people joining the Entertainments Industry than there used to be. What do you think ? Is this just a perception or is it true ? Why do you think this is the case ?

• 4 weeks later...

I can’t really speak about other new recruits but the most off putting thing I found in starting out were H&S regulations put in place in order to protect against legal claims. When I began to become interested in technical theater and in particular lighting I found that the only experience I could get at school was board op or focusing under direct supervision of teachers, which due to there other commitments meant about one hour of focusing time every year. A year later no student was allowed to do any work in the schools performance venues due to health and safety concerns and all further work was carried out by general electrical contractors or local theater LX companies.

After a few e-mails and a phone call I was able to get work experience placement in a theater in Manchester which gave me great encouragement. So much so that I have now got a job there as a casual LX during holidays from college.

I am not criticising the industry but rather the society in which the solution to everything seems to be a longwinded legal battle and a large cash settlement which gives many businesses no option but to stop activities that may be seen as risky.

Ike

Archived