Kit suggestions for wide projection

Tim gregory

I was at a venue recently where we put in some temporary video kit for an event. After the event the technician asked me to check out the spec of the kit they had been quoted for installation.

The venue is predominantly used as a church and they want to do a wide screen at the back of their stage above a door. This screen is about 7.5m x 2.5m.

On this screen they want to have the ability to divide the image into three and have live cameras centrally (PIP) with graphics either side but also use this as a single screen.

The kit that was specified was two 5500 lumen projectors, TVOne edge blenders, and an Atem TV Studio.

I am not sure that this is the best option given the additional delay added to live cameras by the edge blenders and the TV Studio not having DVE's to do the split images.

I am also not sure if the DVI input on the edge blenders would be compatible with the ATEM output.

I would like to help them out and although I didn't think this kit was right for the job I am struggling to think what would exactly meet their requirements at a similar cost. Any ideas would be great.

The current cost for the projectors and processing is about £7k not including installation, cameras and other hardware.

Thanks Tim

Id be very wary about the compatibility of the the Atem unit and the Tv one. Also as far as im aware, the atem only can output standard resolutions and not the extreme widescreen aspect ratio youd need for a widescreen. Its also worth noting that it doesnt have any analogue inputs and wont work with computer graphics standard rgb based dvi/ hdmi, so unless you have a load of sdi cameras allready or dont want to locate your hdmi cameras far from your mixer its going to be limiting. You get loads for your money though... Allthough the fact that you will probably have to buy a load of hdmi - sdi converters takes the sheen off slightly. There is an Atem user group and a post there will give you the actual facts rather than my limited experience.

There are a hundred ways to do widescreen from the aging laptop / DHTG combination up to Vista spyder, but as you are looking at the atem im assuming you dont want any more than a simple single pip which you can do with a variety of switcher scalers including the TVone range such as the c 2350 which may be better suited for your needs.

Also ive a good idea which projectors you are using, and youd be better looking at a dlp unit from the same manufacturer. We could supply units with onboard blending that would allow you to ditch the tv one units and allthough they cost a fair bit more, the total wouldnt be that greatly increased. Using Lcd units on a big blend can be interesting as things degrade over time and the black levels at the join can be slightly obvious especially with your screen at 7.5m / 2.5m you are going to have a pretty small overlap which makes the blend harder to get right, its also an effective 4m + screen in a church with a 5.5k projector which may be ambitious if its not that dark.

• 2 weeks later...
1348563458[/url]' post='452760']

I was at a venue recently where we put in some temporary video kit for an event. After the event the technician asked me to check out the spec of the kit they had been quoted for installation.

The venue is predominantly used as a church and they want to do a wide screen at the back of their stage above a door. This screen is about 7.5m x 2.5m.

On this screen they want to have the ability to divide the image into three and have live cameras centrally (PIP) with graphics either side but also use this as a single screen.

The kit that was specified was two 5500 lumen projectors, TVOne edge blenders, and an Atem TV Studio.

I am not sure that this is the best option given the additional delay added to live cameras by the edge blenders and the TV Studio not having DVE's to do the split images.

I am also not sure if the DVI input on the edge blenders would be compatible with the ATEM output.

I would like to help them out and although I didn't think this kit was right for the job I am struggling to think what would exactly meet their requirements at a similar cost. Any ideas would be great.

The current cost for the projectors and processing is about £7k not including installation, cameras and other hardware.

Thanks Tim

1 projector on to the screen then a switcher that allows you to use 2 Images at once I know the extron allows you to do 2 sources at once don't know about 4 but worth looking in to

• 2 weeks later...

Its worth noting that the ATEM can actually cope with computer HDMI outputs (slight operator voodoo might be needed to get 1080i to work but it is possible / easy even if you know how!) http://www.analogway...ing/smart-edge/ maybe

or a TVOne C2-7200 ??

The lower end option would be a Resolume Arena Server - for about £2k you could have a Arena server with dual HDSDI inputs for cameras - these inputs are very low latency (40ms via decklink cards) - the server would handle the edgeblend too and could be programed with presets for the PIPs and whatever graphics they have. I've been using Arena since before it was released and I'm happy to say that it is now a quality product which offers similar performance to the expensive media servers whilst coming in at a bargain price. This would make for the simplest operation too as they would only have to learn a single interface from which they can handle the PIPs and graphics / VT playback.

I've just completed a 3 projector blended install for a prestigious london nightclub using panasanyo projectors and resolume arena - for the low budget jobs I can't really fault the system.

Its worth noting that the ATEM can actually cope with computer HDMI outputs (slight operator voodoo might be needed to get 1080i to work but it is possible / easy even if you know how!) http://www.analogway...ing/smart-edge/ maybe

or a TVOne C2-7200 ??

The lower end option would be a Resolume Arena Server - for about £2k you could have a Arena server with dual HDSDI inputs for cameras - these inputs are very low latency (40ms via decklink cards) - the server would handle the edgeblend too and could be programed with presets for the PIPs and whatever graphics they have. I've been using Arena since before it was released and I'm happy to say that it is now a quality product which offers similar performance to the expensive media servers whilst coming in at a bargain price. This would make for the simplest operation too as they would only have to learn a single interface from which they can handle the PIPs and graphics / VT playback.

I've just completed a 3 projector blended install for a prestigious london nightclub using panasanyo projectors and resolume arena - for the low budget jobs I can't really fault the system.

Hi Tom,

I run both the ATEM and Resolume Arena and have done some great stuff with them. The issue is I seriously doubt the guys at this place have got the technical know how to coax either into working.

I would rather suggest something that can either easily be configured or setup and left by an installer.

The Analogway unit is probably a good bet.

Just done an event using Arena and The ATEM at the weekend across three Sanyo / Christie projectors with a further projector for a drop down drape.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5414529/SPD%202012%20004.jpg

Projectors were softedged on the bottom drape and the top drape had a rearpro screen in the middle running IMAG and Resolume through a 1ME.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5414529/SPD%202012%20114.jpg

Tim

Hmm well they will need a lot more money then!

The TVOne / Analog way solutions are not easy to use, and are easy to get lost in the menus and then break something. They also provide no possibility of graphics playback / control.

You could of course automate a system using AMX or whatever but again we are talking serious money.

Resolume if correctly set up would be very easy to use. You could even build an ipad control interface using TouchOSC - this would let them have really simple preset recalls of their background graphics and their PIPs.

That gig looks nice :)

Archived