Tx/Rx for In Ears

BigYinUK

Hi again

We're working round to persuading our singist that she needs to use in-ears. She has very sensitive hearing being a newby to rock & roll (!!) and us lot getting loud really causes her a problem, so for the bigger gigs we're doing we think that the answer is probably a set of iems.

Currently she's using some over-ear earphones with a hardwired preamp which she quite likes wrt to being able to hear her pitch but as I said above when the volume gets up she can't hear comfortably.

What we need to try this solution out properly is either hiring a transmitter / receiver for her over the ear jobbies or buy something cheap but reasonable quality so she can try out her over-ears properly and be able to move around. If that works I reckon we could persuade her to try out some DIY in ears, if she likes that we could get her off to an audiologist to get some iems properly fitted.

I've looked at a few offerings but the wireless systems seem all over 300ukp which for a try out is a bit steep. Is there any thing cheaper / are the T.Bone ones worth a look for a trial?

Regards

Jon

If you're on a tight budget why not go hardwired? One of the Thomann wired IEM packs paired with some decent earphones will give her a great sound at a much cheaper price than even the cheapest t.bone / LD systems wireless IEM rig. If it's good enough for her mic then surely it's good enough for her monitors? Just try to make sure she doesn't jump about too much!

For proper mission critical IEM stuff I wouldn't go any lower than the Senn G3 series btw, although hiring to try sounds like a good option in this case.

as an aside I would maybe do a reality check to make sure that your stage levels really are reasonable anyway - older rock musicians used to working with no monitors or little monitoring are the worse culprits - along with guitarists and their 4 x 12 stacks - I keep telling any guitarist that will lissten that 2 x 12 is probably still one too many speakers for a bar/club stage - smaller gear mean reasonable and playable levels on stage.

all that said in ears work really well in clubs and bars particularly for female singers but more for getting a decent mix and hearing their own vocal rather than blocking out the levels around them that are too high. I have been working with LD systems IEM gear in bars and clubs and the quality is more than adequate. a colleague of mine swears by the thomann t-bone system that bears a passing resemblance to the LD gear. both systems should cost you £150 to £170 ish for one complete set. you should be more than happy with either but make sure if you are ordering from the likes of thomann that you get gear that is UK frequency legal. (plenty of other posts on thsi topic) since daily hire of a shure set (for example) can be £50 it may make more sense for you to take a punt on one of the above items. ebay 2nd hand rates are alarmingly high for this sort of gear!

Hi there,

You mention "over-ear earphones" - I'm guessing these are the type that you might use when out jogging?

I'd recommend getting her to invest in some better fitting earphones before shelling out for Tx/Rx. If she can't hear when the noise level goes up at the moment, it's not going to change just because she can walk around! And if she's happy using the system as is, do you really need wireless IEM's?

When I'm drumming I use Shure E2C's, bought my current pair of eBay for around £45. You can't get custom moulds for them, but a range of sleeves to get better isolation is going to help!

Or, as already said, just play quieter?

Hi and thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify, currently she's using a wired system with a pair of "over the ear" earphones.

There are two issues here:

1. Mobility. She does find the wired system tends to anchor here to the mic stand. We're a pretty lively band, despite being older in years ** laughs out loud **. Both myself and the bass player move around a lot and she would like to be able to dash about on the stage. So a wireless rx is a must really.

2. She has really sensitive hearing. A not even particularly loud rehearsal will leave her with a headache. So my logic was that as iems have a fairly high attenuation of external sounds then that would be the way to go.

@S&L - I only use a 40w 1 x 12 so nothing like 4x12 stack levels. Also I mostly keep the level down and the amp is miked so the engineer can get a good level foh and for me in the monitors.

I think we'll ignore our keys player's bleating about pro stuff being the only way to go and we'll get a T.bone system to try.

Make sure her phones/buds are driven by something that has a protective limiter - preferably one that's adjustable (the max level can be lowered if desired). If she goes wired: http://www.rockonaudio.com/package.php, this: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-P4HW-Hardwired-Bodypack-for-PSM-400-Systems?sku=243606, and this http://www.peavey.com/products/accessories/power/index.cfm/item/117093/number/03001320/HB2HeadPhoneAmplifier.cfm (although the limiter is a bit too accessible for my taste).

I'm not sure whether you knew this or not but Thomann have a 30 day money back guarantee, so it would be feasible to buy it, try it and send it back if it doesn't work. It is probably best to avoid using the supplied earphones though in favour of some better ones (shure se 102 maybe) if you go down this route - lots of retailers won't take back stuff that's been in your ear - and the supplied ones aren't very good earphones!

@Matt Riley

** laughs out loud ** that was exactly what I suggested to her! Although in practice I'd probably have it off her anyway as I'm probably going to go down that route for my own monitoring once we get a bit of money in from the gigs.

I'm planning to save a bit and make my own moulds up. I have a pair of Sony in ear buds that (to my ears) sound quite good, I thought I might use them for a trial run.

Regards and thanks for the replies.

• 2 weeks later...

Received the T.Bone from Thomann today. Initial impressions are very positive. The build quality is extremely good and the sound quality seems fine. Range also good as far as I can tell just testing.

We'll use it for a rehearsal or two next week and gig with it on Oct 11th so will post more impressions then.

BTW I can't find a limiter control on either the TX or RX. Specs say its "built in". Any ideas?

Regards all

Archived