Touchscreen size for MagicQ?

mark_s

I'm currently considering buying a dedicated machine for MagicQ (or potentially Titan One in the future), and was wondering what people think the minimum usable touchscreen size is for MagicQ? I'm eyeing up a 12.1" Toughbook in particular, but would worry that it might be a bit small or impractical (frustrating rather than unusable). What do people think?

For my fat'ish fingers 12" is good for the main window; as on the console so is great with a maxi wing. If you are going to use one of the views which replaces maxi wing buttons then it might be a bit small.

I use a 15" widescreen touchscreen laptop and a 17" ELO touchscreen, both of which I find comfortable for any of the touch views.

Just to add that anyone looking for a touchscreen laptop may want to hang on a little longer, once windows 8 is released there will be loads of new touchscreen laptops coming out. (at least you would think so as it is basically got a touch screen ui)

From using a few touchscreens, some smaller screens can be more usable than larger ones. It is down to the type of touchscreen used.

For example a 15" all in one Shuttle X50 with a resistive sensor is more usable than a 22" Iiyama with an optical sensor.

A 15" touchscreen means that the onscreen playback legends line up with the physical playbacks on the PC wing when in 'Touch' layout.

which of course makes relating your screen info to wing faders quick and natural.

as already mentioned above; it's worth being aware of the different touch screen technologies; I will list them with my personal opinions...

Resistive : cheap screens can have poor accuracy but good ones are my favourite for lx control as you require a positive (yet light) contact with the screen. can be used with gloves on.

Capacitive : excellent response and require skin contact with very light pressure; excellent for programming screens and good for playback/executors though be wary of accidental touch if hovering for a cue...

Optical : have a number of names depending on manufacturer but generally the larger multi-touch screens. ok for programming screens but I avoid for playbacks/executors as a camera picks up your finger a few mm away from the screen, not good if you like to hover over GO or someone else points at something on your screen...

as for brands, I have had good experiences with ELO and Geode.

I hope that helps.

Also worth noting that there are conversion kits available, such as this :http://www.ebay.co.u...t-/160608706689 that let you convers a cheap monitor into a touch screen without breaking the bank.

In my experience this is not as good an idea as it sounds, it's usually difficult/impossible to fit them successfully to a cased LCD monitor, depending on how the LCD panel is mounted in the case. They are good for chassis-type monitors which are fitted behind a panel (interactive museum exhibits etc). Or if designed for a specific monitor.

Yeah, agreed. They are a horrid kludge and result in more wiring mess. Ultimately will lead to a less than ideal user interface. If you are going to do it, do it properly.

Also agree on the 15" size for the reason mentioned.

I was actually looking for a 15" when I ended up with the 17" ELO, an Ebay purchase and the 15's were going for a lot more for some reason.

My laptop is 15" and lines up nicely with the PC Wing and to be honest I'm glad I ended with the 17" as the extra resolution as well as size helps a lot. The only downside is it pushed me up a size on the Peli-case to fit it all in, but otherwise I am very happy with the setup. The resistive screen on the ELO is excellent, almost as sensitive as a capacitive. The case is a bit of a beast but it does look after everything nicely, I suppose I could post some pic's if anyone is interested?

I forgot one other good thing to mention about the ELO screens, they have rock solid, if heavy stands and dont budge when your using them, unlike the annoying bounce of the the laptop screen. Hence I keep programming stuff on the laptop and playbacks/executors on the ELO.

Also I wouldn't use just touch-screens for bands, it's about do-able with the PC Wing or a maxi but I would definitely add an Extra-Wing for that. If like me you only do very occasional band stuff then hiring one as needed is a sensible way to go.

it's usually difficult/impossible to fit them successfully to a cased LCD monitor, depending on how the LCD panel is mounted in the case.

Luckily, some monitors aren't that hard to get into - in which case these panels can easily be installed. The touch panel is quite thin, and all the control electronics fit inside the monitor case, so the only additional cable is a USB lead. I converted a spare 19" monitor a couple of years ago, and it's still going strong, as the display for my MagicQ PC. The resistive touch panel is quite sensitive and easily accurate enough for the software.

Archived