Y-split at patchbay

MikeDennis

Hi, we have a small XLR patchbay at the top of our amp rack that receives signal from both the sound desk and a separate DJ L+R on stage before feeding either to the crossover->amps etc.

For our Friday clubnight, we use the DJ interface and the sound desk gets locked away. I've been told I need to get a stereo feed of the DJ mixer to record and stream. As this can't be done at the DJ mixer because we don't get a solid (edit - wireless) internet connection on that level of the venue, the only way I can think of is to Y-split the feed at the patchbay.

Just wanting to check I'm not being stupid - is this the best idea?

I'd certainly use a y-split to do this with no real worry - assuming I knew the kit to be in good working order. The slight damping a split like this makes to a line level signal I must admit I can't detect. The only real concern is that any short will kill the output to both systems. In the past we've had people recommend isolation via 1 10K resistor in each line, just in case, but I don't think many people actually bother.

It's a DJM-800. There are other outputs I could record from but it's going to be easier in terms of it being streamed to do it all in the room on the upper level where the internet connection is reliable.

Don't think it will be a problem having the PA and recording at the same output level as the streaming program has a volume control. Useful questions to be asked though, thanks!

Archived