AKG D880

S&L

I'm just putting a list together of mics and channels for an upcoming show in the fortnight. The male singer (decent voice, soul & funk) has expressed a preference for using his own mic and AKG D880. No problem as such and I carry backups but I haven't seen one of these mics in action before. Anyone have any experience and care to comment on quality of them? given his preference to go walk about, the spec sheet of super cardioid seems to fit ok with that.

I've used them a few times and really like them. It has a crisp, detailed sound (I wondered if it was a condenser the first time I heard one) but the feedback rejection was really good on walkabout singers. I can't quantify that but certainly had no problems despite over-loud monitors with vocals in them that I was pushed into on at least one occasion.

thanks bobbsy - that was exactly what I hoped you were going to say. it ties in with the particular singer and makes sense that it would be his personal choice. I was hoping someone was going to say crisp and detailed with good feedback rejection. they seem to go a song on ebay so if it works I may pick up a couple to add to the growing collection! at the very least I know that it's use should be OK.

Archived