Mac 250 entour

DonkiDonki

I'm onsite with a rig which includes a couple of mac250 entour.

One of them has doused its lamp, although it worked for over a day. When trying to strike the lamp it says hot even though completely cold. I have tried a spare lamp but no change. When attempting to strike the lamp there is only a very quiet click from the yoke, not the usual sound that you get when the lamp strikes or attempts to strike.

I suspect either a faulty temp sensor or sticking relay. I've tried giving the relay a sharp tap but no difference.

Anyone got any ideas?

We can get a replacement but not in time for tomorrows show.http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

Sounds like the likely culprit is a duff igniter or at an outside chance the ballast.

If you're confident with a multimeter then you can meter to see if you have mains voltage at the input to the igniter, if you do then that's your problem. A big word of caution though, you really don't want to be trying to meter the output of the igniter!

1347303165[/url]' post='451229']

Sounds like the likely culprit is a duff igniter or at an outside chance the ballast.

If you're confident with a multimeter then you can meter to see if you have mains voltage at the input to the igniter, if you do then that's your problem. A big word of caution though, you really don't want to be trying to meter the output of the igniter!

Thanks, we're going to replace it tomorrow afternoon anyway, let the hire company sort it out. If it is igniter or ballast then there's not much I can do without spares anyway.

I was hoping it might be the relay sticking, but if it is; my efforts to knock it free have failed.

I would check the high voltage wiring going from the arm to the head, the blue and black wire. Common problem on MAC 250 entour/kryptons with them breaking then the lamp wont strike. if they are ok the check voltages going to the starter.

thanks, I'll pass that on to the service chap. the replacement fixture has arrived now so I can just swap it out for now.

• 8 years later...

Hi everyone,

I just went through this same situation with a Mac 250 Entour. The lamp wouldn't strike and I was constantly getting HOT error codes. I swapped almost everything that has been mentioned on this forum and others. The problem ended up being the blue wire in the blue/black wire pair coming up from the base and going up to the white terminal block in the head itself. The blue wire was cooked pretty well where it leaves the yoke and goes into the axle where the head tilts. I couldn't see it easily because it was inside that tube a continuity test would have identified it easily... so...note reminder to self: Always check the easy stuff first. So, give both the black and blue wires a tug near that location, you might find your problem there.