Magic Q. Record TS

Richard CSL

OK so I am going on vacation in a month or so's time, and I want to be able to run my show automatically.

I have read that the function Record TS, basically records keystrokes, can it record fader levels as well?

and as long as it is started at the same time as the video or backing track, or even a button press perhaps?

if it starts to runn out of sync is there a way of adjusting the playback?

Not sure if this is just a part of the software I've not come across before, or if I'm being slow, but I can't see any reference to a "record TS" function in the manual or codebase... Where did you read about this?

I have read that the function Record TS, basically records keystrokes, can it record fader levels as well?

There are macros, which can record keystrokes and fader movements (Press the macro button, select a slot, then press 'Start Macro', do some things, and then press End Macro)

Alternatively there's a timecode function built into a single cuestack, where you press "Record TC" and it just records the specific timecode when you press the Go button in that specific cuestack. That just is an easy way to fill the column in the cuestack window with the correct timecode.

But I've never heard of "Record TS" before!

sorry my typo it is indeed Record TC.

Can the Macro you mentioned "

(Press the macro button, select a slot, then press 'Start Macro', do some things, and then press End Macro)""

record an entire 3 hour show?

Or would it be better to break the show up into say 3 parts and create a single cue stack for each part then use Record TC.?

if it starts to run out of sync is there a way of adjusting the playback

Caveat- Last time I done this kind of thing (many years ago).

The Audio or Video track needs a seperate track spitting out time code. You record the show with the time code running and the console remebers the cue with the time code and will replay it exactly as per when you recorded it - that is the point of the time code - to sync everything up. (On the ETC desks I done it with and presumably the Magic Q, you can then go into the stack and modify the timecode cues if you need to tweek it.)

Therefore you needn't break the show up as you could do the whole show of one play button on your audio or video playback.

Certainly wouldn't do it on a Macro as there is no guarantee that it will all stay in sync over any time as you have already guessed.

HTH

Presumably someone will have to man the console to some degree to at least trigger the initial GO?If so then why not put everything in a normal cue-list with a combination of automatic and manual transitions where appropriate; the chances of pre-recorded cues staying synced to a three hour live show seems slim. (assuming it is a live show?)You can then have a selection of useful cues on other submasters to cover any problems or performer "specials"...

If it is a pre-recorded show then time code is a good bet, simply have the time code clock recorded on the show medium. I would personally prefer to program cues rather than record macro of live performance.

MIDI SMPTE interfaceseems to be the way.

As to getting the SMPTE track off the video PC, not certain, I am fairly certain it would be just a seperate audio track (showing my ignorance here) on a discreet channel.

You would have to create the timecode in something like Finalcut Pro.

reckon it may be easier to get a dep in to cover your vacation :)

As David said, you need to record the timecode to the master source. for example if your show is sync'd to a single video then you need to record the timecode track on snap audio channel of the video. As David suggested, Final cut pro will let you do this, you can put the track on one of the stereo channels and run audio mono or put it on s surround channel if you want to keep the stereo audio.

you will need to mindful not to put the timecode channel into your audio system!

if you need to sync multiple videos and other items, you still produce a timecode on a blank video long enough for entire show and use that to control everything. there are numerous choices of solution to control video, audio, etc.

Archived