Roland "portable piano" repair

timtheenchanteruk

I'm looking for someone to repair a Roland Portable Piano, the sound has gone "wonky" press a key, you still get the note, at a much reduced volume, but distorted, all outputs are affected, L, R and headphone.

It may well be a simple fix, but the long and short of it is, I'm too busy to be able to take man hour time off to look at it.

Tim, have a word with John up at the Town Hall. He had dealings with whoever fixed the Piano when it died mid-rehearsal. Seem to recall it was somebody in Armley, but I may be wrong. He had an invoice through from them and passed it on to me by accident thinking it was something involving the sound system, so he'll hopefully have something on record somewhere.

If it has an external PSU, is it the right one?

Some of our larger keyboards do what you describe when powered by the PSU intended for the smaller ones.

Also, there are still some keyboards which need an AC supply rather than DC- e.g. 240V ac in, 12V ac out, but use the same common connectors. If the supply isn't the original one for the keyboard, that could give you the same symptoms. I think I've only been caught out with that on Yamaha's recently (and some Alesis stuff), but it might be a quick fix if 2 power supplies have got swapped over.

Archived