Movers on Booms?

rstech

Not so much taking the weight, but handling the shift in CoG when they both swing at the same time. If they both did a reset and the boom was only supported on the tank trap, then the sideways force could be considerable. If the boom is fixed, then I'd probably no bother with the horizontal component at all, and just mount them to the vertical pole - which would give a wider range of movement too.

Not wanting to go off topic took much, but if I understand what you mean correctly, the one reason I would advise against this is for ease of programming. IMO it's a pain to program movers outrigged like that - it doesn't bother some people but I always put mine horizontal where possible. If that makes sense!

Not so much taking the weight, but handling the shift in CoG when they both swing at the same time. If they both did a reset and the boom was only supported on the tank trap, then the sideways force could be considerable. If the boom is fixed, then I'd probably no bother with the horizontal component at all, and just mount them to the vertical pole - which would give a wider range of movement too.

Ok - I know im stupid sometimes - but how does it give a wider range of movement. . . ? If it has 430 Pan and 300 tilt - as in a mac 301 - surely its thats whichever way its rigged. ?! Or not rigged?! Or am I missing something!?

But ill agree with Tom also - keep horizontal like overhead bars. Means you dont have two different ways of working for programming.

Ok - I know im stupid sometimes - but how does it give a wider range of movement. . . ? If it has 430 Pan and 300 tilt - as in a mac 301 - surely its thats whichever way its rigged. ?! Or not rigged?! Or am I missing something!?

If you mount it horizontally, as you would on a normal bar, how can you point it up in the air? Wherever the body is is the one direction in which you can't point it so having the body on the off-stage side rather than above it gives you the widest range of movement.

But ill agree with Tom also - keep horizontal like overhead bars. Means you dont have two different ways of working for programming.

I suspect Paul is meaning if the movers are mounted high, then having them vertical gives the option of them pointing straight down.

EDIT: or up as Shez says :D

I'd say the answer is "It depends".

On the size of the base and weight you're able to sit on it.

On the type and weight of movers (this time maybe Mac 250, but next time...?)

On how high you plan hang the heads - the higher you go the poorer the centre of gravity will be and the movement will have increasingly more of an effect on the upright, meaning you'd need far more weight on the base to counter that potential. Also the higher you go the more chance you have of the upright literally swaying regardless of the weight on the base...

Personally I'm not a fan of using tank traps like this, though I have seen it done successfully within limits. The last time I saw it however the traps were bolted to the deck. (And no, I wouldn't suggest screws to do that as with too much movement there's a high risk of screws coming adrift)

yes I agree.

If you mount them to the vertical boom, you can use them any angle, apart from into the wings. If you hang them from a horizontal in the usual manner, then you can go vertical downwards, but you can't go up, past the usual angle. If you had three or four at say, 1m, 2.5m and 4m, sideways mounting gives you a bit more useful movement. I appreciate the side loading on the bearings, but most can be mounted this way up, and if the manufacturer mentions this way of mounting acceptable, then I would take it as approval. It's pretty common to see movers mounted this way, and I think it looks neater than the extra outrigged arm.

Archived