Between Yamaha & Electro-Voice

MisterJames

Hello,

After a good few days of research im down to EV ELX115P Or Yamaha DSR115 Both are active speakers with Yamaha specs saying it kicks out a lot of power. I do small bands so power isnt everything but I want clear punchy bass and a clean mid and high for vocals.

Has anyone compared the two over a period of time? Any issue or comments about any of the two?

Hope you can help!

James

Yamaha specs saying it kicks out a lot of power...

That 136dB/1m figure quoted is AFAIK a calculated figure based on short bursts at peak power handling, probably with no allowance for thermal compression (i.e. power becoming heat instead of sound).

The dispertion pattern and frequency response are similar on both boxes, however the EV weighs in 5.5kg less than the Yammy, which makes a rather worthwhile difference if you're the one lugging them and putting them on & off of sticks.

I do small bands...

I want clear punchy bass and a clean mid and high for vocals...

What sub/s are you planning on using them with? Have you considered a 12"+CD mid/high box instead of a 15" ?

Hello,

After a good few days of research im down to EV ELX115P Or Yamaha DSR115 Both are active speakers with Yamaha specs saying it kicks out a lot of power. I do small bands so power isnt everything but I want clear punchy bass and a clean mid and high for vocals.

Has anyone compared the two over a period of time? Any issue or comments about any of the two?

Hope you can help!

James

If after sales service and support is important to you then I would NOT recommend EV since they have moved all service support back to Germany for the UK. Trying to get a recone kit out of them was a rotten experience, and getting ANY technical information from them proved impossible. Yamaha on the other hand have a fantastic reputation for service and support in the UK.

When you need something repaired (and it happens sooner or later) then I would not want to be in the position of having to get EV parts. In fact, my experience was so bad that I am seriously considering getting rid of my (already paid for and turning a profit) EV speakers, just so that if I need service parts in the future I will not have a repeat of my recent nightmare. Only the fact that they have already paid for themselves means that I am holding onto them. The next driver that needs reconing will see them sold as a job lot, and replaced with something that I can easily get parts for, e.g. Yamaha, RCF, Nexo - all of whom I have had super support experiences from.

So, perhaps access to spare parts will influence your decision. Or not...

Dave.

I've had the elx115p and a LF woofer went inside one of them. After looking inside the box you can tell that this is made to a budget. My preference would be the DSR115. I listened to this at my local music shop and was very impressed with the sound. Plus it has a 2 inch compression driver compared to the 1.5 inch of the EV. The DSR has a 3 inch voice coil on the LF woofer but I can't see on the EV site what the 115P is. Overall though, the DSR in my opinion seems, looks and sounds that a better made box. PMT have both these boxes so you can listen to them side by side.

When you need something repaired (and it happens sooner or later) then I would not want to be in the position of having to get EV parts. In fact, my experience was so bad that I am seriously considering getting rid of my (already paid for and turning a profit) EV speakers, just so that if I need service parts in the future I will not have a repeat of my recent nightmare.

You don't have to get your parts just from EV, you know. These guys can rebuild your drivers for you.

Ahhh man... Mixed opinions about both... I quite like Ev they are light and a good looking cab. Bass cab I was looking at matching pairs so EV elx118p or yamaha dsr. Id prefer one subwoofer as I only drive a vw golf and space is tight. I think EV will be the one.

I'd buy the Yamaha. The ELX passive speakers are the cheapest in the range. Much cheaper than a benchmark SX300. The Yamahas look like a higher spec product.

But this opinion is simply based on a quick look at the websites. I'd want to listen before parting with thousands of pounds!

Having A/Bd an SX300 and an ELX112, I'd actually say that the ELX sounds a whole lot better! Just because it's cheaper, doesn't make it worse by any means!

I'm a big fan of the entire ELX range of tops, both powered and un-powered. I'm not such a big fan of the subs, but that's not their fault! I just like a lot of sub!

Josh

Archived