Art-net set-up

SBLD

Like I've said networking is not my strong point. I still don't quite trust CAT 5 for no other reason than it is new and therefore scary,

although granted Art-net has been around long enough for it not to be. Guess I'll just keep trial and error-ing until it's sussed.

Cheers guys

Set the IP on the TT to 2.0.0.1, subnet 255.0.0.0. Set the IP on the luminex box to 2.0.0.2, subnet 255.0.0.0. Set the IP on the WYG PC to 2.0.0.3 with subnet 255.0.0.0. On the PC set the default gateway to blank and the DNS fields to blank.

Make sure no 2 devices on the network have the same IP address.

As has been said, it's probably an unmanaged switch rather than a hub. Hubs are rarely seen now.

If possible, isolate the network to just those 3 devices. Also use bought cables rather than making your own (that way the crimps are likely to be better) and make sure you're using straight cables. Crossover cables are used for connecting device - device straight through, although a lot of the time you don't even need those anymore. Many modern network cards (gigabit ones) have a technology in them, the name of which escapes me, so that if it detects it's connected to another computer it will "swap" the pins on the motherboard to compensate.

Cheers,

Tom

Set the IP on the TT to 2.0.0.1, subnet 255.0.0.0. Set the IP on the luminex box to 2.0.0.2, subnet 255.0.0.0. Set the IP on the WYG PC to 2.0.0.3 with subnet 255.0.0.0. On the PC set the default gateway to blank and the DNS fields to blank.

Unless it's a Luminex DMX8 (which is actually two 4-port nodes, effectively, and needs two IP addresses) - in which case you need to address WYG to 2.0.0.5.

A switch will forward every packet it receives to all ports on that switch, unless it has aquired knowledge that it shouldn't, which it does so by learning what is connected to what port. Broadcasts and multicasts should always go out all ports.

Management of the switch shouldn't affect that behaviour.

If you look at a rack full of switches in an office somewhere, take a look at the blinkenlitz. Much of the time, you'll see what appears to be a random flashing of the lights. These are unicast packets. Then sometimes you'll see every light on every port light up. Thats a broadcast or a multicast. Thus by just looking at the switches from across the room you can charaterise the traffic patterns.

Archived