Application forms

mark_s

I've ran into this problem a few times now as a freelancer wanting to apply for a permanent position. How do you market yourself on an application form when you're self-employed? Do you list your most recent employment as self-employment, and include details of what you've worked on in the details box, or do you make an entry for each significant bit of work?

I'm now leaning towards the first option, but I'm not 100% convinced. I always feel when I fill out an application form that I'm not selling myself very well; they are definitely geared towards those in permanent jobs! Does anyone have any advice?

I've ran into this problem a few times now as a freelancer wanting to apply for a permanent position. How do you market yourself on an application form when you're self-employed? Do you list your most recent employment as self-employment, and include details of what you've worked on in the details box, or do you make an entry for each significant bit of work?

I'm now leaning towards the first option, but I'm not 100% convinced. I always feel when I fill out an application form that I'm not selling myself very well; they are definitely geared towards those in permanent jobs! Does anyone have any advice?

You only list yourself as self-employed, and in the description of that role you can include examples of significant work.

Basically you are your own employer so that is the employer. If you were a full timer going to another full time you wouldn't list each project in the employment history so there is no need to do so when freelancing. The only real exception, in my opinion, would be if you were doing something long term as a freelancer. If you spent 3 years on the road as the LD for one band I wouldn't find it unreasonable to list them as an employer.

Application forms are ultimately up to you really, whatever you think will get you the job, do it. But remember, when contracted for works that's very different to being employed by them.

I tend to agree. If you are self-employed, then how do you invoice people? Many of us have a business name - the one people can write a cheque to, or find a bank account for. HMRC don't have a problem with this. When I get asked for a job title, I describe myself as a Production Manager - which fits practically everything I do now. Sometimes they want a status - so I use proprietor which also is quite accurate. The only snag is when I occasionally get asked for a reference from 'my' employer, so I give one of my clients. Oddly, I can't give my theatre because they divert anything to do with the theatre to me - so in fact could only give very non-specific comments. Submits invoices regularly, moans when we forget to process them. Is here a lot, no idea what he does? Would be the best they can do. Fill in the form to reflect your circumstances - if they understand the industry, they'll know why you can't answer conventionally.

Have recently run into a similar thing with the police when applying to be a special. They are very hot on employment history and want to know who they can contact there for a reference. It's either me, or my business partner (who's been my friend since we were 4!) or an employee of mine. Tricky!

Archived