parametric EQ's whats good whats not

mark b

Hi, Have been thinking of adding some parametrics to our hire stock and were wondering which way to turn. I have used KT's of all shapes and sizes and found them to be good. But they are sooo expensive. Has anybody used any of the rane range? or if you have any other sugestions sling em in ere!

(has anyody else had problems with meyer parametrics? cos I have.)

Hi Mark, At Blitz we stock the Klark Tecnik DN410 parametric, they were originally bought for use as speaker system eq's on theatre shows (In the days before you could buy speakers that actually sound a: the same as the one next to it and b: anything like the program material going in to them) These days we don't use them very much in day to day hire but to return to your original question they are very reliable and well made. HTH Peter :D

Mark,

The KT DN410 is very highly regarded in the pro-audio world, for its sound quality and "musicality" as well as its build. It's probably the closest thing to an "industry standard" parametric that there is.

Rane gear is generally good (but not in the same league as KT), but isn't that common in the UK.

I have heard also heard excellent reports about the Meyer CP-10 - what sort of problems have you had?

TC Electronic also used to do a parametric, but I think it's no longer available.

There are plenty of EQs available made for recording studios, but virtually all of them are too obscure to be worth getting for live rental stock IMO.

As well as system tuning, parametrics are also used as an outboard eq to replace the mixer eq, generally in high-end systems.

As Peter suggested, the use of parametrics is less commonplace now than it was. For system tuning, DSP processors are popular and it might be worth looking at these.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

We use the parametrics as inserts for lav mic channles. As we use 31 bands as system for system tuning.

The one occasion that I have used a mayer parametrics it fell over and threw a lovley square wave signal out. Thank god for the limiters on omnidrives! This may have been a freak occurence as it came from an un-named hire company. But it has tarnished the unit in my mind. (Again probably more my problem than the unit's! But once I have kit fall over on me I find it hard to trust it again.)

Take a look at the Rane PE 17 Parametric Equalizer with separate In and Out Gain controls, sweepable Low and High Cut Filters, 100% overlapping bands.

Ideal for criical digital audio, studio and sound reinforcement.

We have used these a lot for installation and live work, they are very sweet units and about 460 quid inc VAT

Archived