Performing Arts Technician CV

michael

Hi Guys,

I didn't really know what section to put this in so Mods please move if this is the wrong place.

I have been offered a job as a performing arts technician in a secondary school and have an interview for the job next week.

I have been asked to take a copy of my CV with me but currently my CV is laid out in a format that a hire company or touring company would expect to see as I am currently freelancing and I dont know whether this would be suitable to take along to an interview at a school.

Does anyone know what a school would expect to see on a CV that a hire company wouldn't care about.

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael,

As a student just leaving secondry school, who spent alot of time working with our Performing Arts Technician, as well as seeing a number of CVs for new technicians, I would definatly say to include any skills related to actually teaching as well as the standard technical skills you have, as a number of schools I have been in expect the PArts Technician to pass on knowledge to students in order that they can assist with shows etc.

In addition information like IT Skills, as again a school technician role tends to be a bit different deapending which departmet they locate you in I.e some schools the Performing Arts Technician office can be in IT and some schools within the drama accomodation. This means you could be asked to assist with IT tasks if you were based there. I would have to say it depends on the job desciptions, as it may also include tasks such as building set (even if it is finally painted by for example the Art Dept), which is probably something you wouldnt have in a CV for a hire company.

Callum

Not to go off topic or anything but are you sure you want to take this job at all?

It's just you say your current CV is geared for hire and touring companies, if that's what you currently do or want to do, you will probably be let down by what the school has to offer, and more so, the very limited boost it will add to your CV for future work.

I don't know whether you've applied for this because you do really want it or just because you're not really succeeding in the freelance sector. You would not be alone in people who have toyed with going full time in something less than what they wanted rather than stick with occasional work in what they did, just to make enough money to pay the rent and still be roughly in the right sector of jobs. There are, after all, a lot of people who can't get a job at all, nevermind one that is at least part-way related to their interests.

You should probably know that in the majority of secondary schools, much of your work (if full time) will be menial tasks which we would consider non-technical but teachers can pass off as technical to save having to do it themselves. Examples include arranging chairs, setting up a CD player / powerpoint projector, etc. It will not be rock and roll.

If you are successfully finding freelance work in touring then I'm most surprised that you're actively looking to take the pay cut and reduction in fun that comes with being a school technician, and if you're not - well this doesn't have to be the answer. I'm not trying to put you off as such, I'm just saying, if rock n roll touring is what you want to do, and it's just not working at the moment, keep trying. If you're not getting the work it is most likely down to lack of experience (if you've enough experience most companies will at least give you a shot and hopefully more), and that's not something you're going to get more of working in a school.

Emphasise your multi skilled ability and slightly out of production land skills like being able to restring guitars etc.

Talk about occasions when you have been able to discuss what you are doing in order to share knowledge and understanding.

Schools are often after someone to manage the show, production manager style rather than just a 'do what I'm told' technician, so talk about shows where you have fulfilled that role.

That's it for hints for now ;)

Archived