Thomann IEM's

preselipete

Yes I know....its the budget end of the market and I quickly switched to Shure IEMs, however I am left with two of these units and have the following issues.

1.The user guide makes reference to a limiter on these units which I want to use but there seems to be no way of switching the limiter on, and the user guide is no help. Should I assume the limiter is permanently on? Seems a bit of a dangerous assumption though..

2. Using one unit is no problem, however if I use two together in a rackmount unit, no matter what frequencies I switch them both to I have interference and a crappy sound. I have tried adding cable extensions to the aerials and moving the aerials around but to no avail.

Any ideas?

You mean if both are running on different channels, a receiver on one channel is interfered with by the transmitter on the other, and vice versa? How far away are the receivers from the transmitters? If they're close, then interference from the one on a nearby frequency is normal - although once you get to the usual working distances, it should go. Cheaper units never have the same rejection of off-frequency signals, but they should still be fine once distance is workable. Can you explain the crappy sound? If each has good sound until the other is turned on, what does the change actually sound like. A good test would be to take both receivers 10m away and then see if they work on separate channels trouble free. If at that kind of distance, the transmitters still 'annoy' each other, I wonder if somebody has tweaked the power output. A good test would be to remove the transmit aerials to reduce output field strength and see what happens. I've never used these - but we've had a few posts on them and nobody has complained about audio quality? The only other thing would be if again, somebody has fiddled with them and increased the deviation, so the things overlap - but that's unlikely.

Keeping a distance is always a good idea :oops:

I had similar problems with walkie-talkies too close together.

But the limiter issue I don't really understand. To have a limiter in an IEM is always advisable, so why should it be "switch-off-able"? I'd say if it is always on, that's what it is supposed to be. Or would you turn it off if you could?

Just an idea

Norbert

The limiter we're talking about is the one in the receiver. Just like floor monitors, it's quite possible somebody wants their ears to bleed, so something to stop this, set by the operator is a sensible precaution. I guess the kind of circumstance where turning it off makes sense is if the unit is connected to earphone/headphones that produce less level for a given input. Maybe somebody has a favourite set of in-ears that need driving hard - I can see the sense here. I can also see a less sensible reason when dealing with people who already have damaged hearing, who simply cannot hear 'normal' volume levels - drummers being a good example. An IEM system that can't be heard is pointless. I've got some Trantecs and Sennheisers and the Senns are louder.I often have the Trantecs on full, and the Sennheisers turned down - but swap the headset on the Senns and volume can easily drop. If the person doing the monitors suddenly hits the wrong fader, then the Sennheiser can suddenly be VERY loud, and if you have both hands busy, you can't walk away as you would from a speaker - so a limiter can be a very sensible feature.

The power output has not been tweaked as I have had the units since new and I lack the cajones to go fiddling about in the guts of the things. The distance between transmitter and receiver is generally about three to five metres. The "crappy sound" is a whooshing swirling sound. Interestingly if I turn one transmitter off the other unit then returns nigh on perfect sound immediately. My simple fix is to only use one T.Bone unit at a time and additional monitor mixes are sent and received via my new and very lovely Shure systems.

The limiter issue is the one that vexes me the most, I can find no way of switching the limiter on! There is a limiter icon on the beltpack but this does not show as "on". Does this icon only come "on" when the limiter kicks in? This seems unlikely as what performer would be looking at the little LED display whilst performing? So, I am left to conclude the limiter is not on. I want to protect the performer in question (she is sometimes my wife!) and want to be certain the limiter is on. Does anyone out there actually use these units? The manual makes reference to the limiter but gives no instruction re switching it on or off. .

Yes I know....its the budget end of the market and I quickly switched to Shure IEMs, however I am left with two of these units and have the following issues.

1.The user guide makes reference to a limiter on these units which I want to use but there seems to be no way of switching the limiter on, and the user guide is no help. Should I assume the limiter is permanently on? Seems a bit of a dangerous assumption though..

2. Using one unit is no problem, however if I use two together in a rackmount unit, no matter what frequencies I switch them both to I have interference and a crappy sound. I have tried adding cable extensions to the aerials and moving the aerials around but to no avail.

Any ideas?

The limiter is likely to simply be a brick wall limiter which just stops the transients - send the transmitter a signal that's too loud - choose something with drums that have a prominent snare and up the level and see if the limiter led starts to illuminate. To be honest, it's something I've never worried about despite caring for me ears - I just run the system at a level that works for me, and take care with how I arrange my monitor sends - the wearer also has a volume control, so unless they max out the receiver, I doubt the limiter will do very much at all.

For receivers without much selectivity, 5 m is quite close enough for a transmitter just a MHz or two away to annoy. You said you'd tried aerial extensions? Did you try just one, and move it as far away as you can and see if they still interfere. Try putting one receiver very close to the transmitter and the transmit aerial for the other at the distance and see if this gets better. There's another RF process called desense (receiver desensitisation) that makes a receiver sound like it has a weak signal in the presence of a strong in band transmission.

Of course... it makes perfect sense to try sending it something too loud and then see if the limiter works...why in heavens name I never thought of that we will just put down to rank incompetence!!! I will also try jiggering around with two aerials and seeing if that makes a difference. Not a lot I can do about proximity to the transmitters due to the way the gig is set up. The main lesson I think is to avoid cheap gear! The Thomann ears were bought as an experiment to see if the performers got on with them instead of floor monitors. They did... and then wanted better ones so I guess they served their purpose. Many thanks for the help guys. Preseli Pete

Archived