Acme Rover Barrel Scanner

djbzentertainment

Hello all,

Although this is not a theatre based enquiry, I have asked one or two questions of you guys before and someone has always managed to come up with an excellent answer!

I am a mobile dj, and although have mainly moved to LED type lighting I have kept my pair of Acme Rover Barrel Scanners as I really like the effect they give.

Here is my question:

I have a pair of Acme Rover barrel scanners which are about 5 or 6 years old. I bought them second hand and they have been absolutely fine. (They barrel rotates a little quick sometimes to be honest, but I am told this is just how they are, unless you know better of course!! I am not using any form of controller with them.) I have been running them both as stand alone in sound to light mode, but recently decided to link them together with an XLR cable. I have checked that the dip switches on the master and the slave are set as per the instructions which they are.

When in operation, the slave copies exactly what the master does regards panning, barrel rotation speed, direction etc, except the colour of the slave stays white and does not change colour with the master.

I have noticed in the past when the slave is running in stand alone sound to light mode, that sometimes the colours do not change and the barrel spins in the same direction for quite a long time and only changes direction now and then. I have cured this by unplugging the unit from the mains and plugging it back in again which usually works.

I do know that the colour wheel does rotate so its not something like a dodgy stepper motor problem. (I think....!!)

Could this be a faulty internal control board issue in the slave unit, or is it a common problem that can be cured does anyone know?

Many thanks in advance for your input.

Best regards,

Bob Dixon

Given the age of the fixtures, about all you can do is pull them apart and give them a good cleaning and a (small!) drop of oil where things move. Pull all the connectors apart, clean the contacts and then put them back together. Check all the chips, if in sockets, are properly seated. Check all cables carefully for badly-fitted end-connectors and possible breaks. Good luck!

Have you tried swapping which fixture is master to see if the fault moves?

No! I will try that. Good idea.

Given the age of the fixtures, about all you can do is pull them apart and give them a good cleaning and a (small!) drop of oil where things move. Pull all the connectors apart, clean the contacts and then put them back together. Check all the chips, if in sockets, are properly seated. Check all cables carefully for badly-fitted end-connectors and possible breaks. Good luck!

Thanks for that!

Yes, I think they could do probably do with a bit of a clean up. Must confess though never thought of pulling connectors apart and cleaning the connections etc etc, thanks for that.

Thanks for your answers will try them and report back. Might be a few weeks as am off on holiday soon, but will report back.

Best regards,

Bob

Archived