Summer season work in Great Yarmouth

paulears

I'm in need of one, maybe two people to help with the summer season in Gt Yarmouth.

Pay is hourly, and legal (hence not brilliant) and pretty variable. Goes from a very simple in and out and not a great deal else to do, to very busy days with big get-ins, lots of prep, plenty to do during the show and then an out.

Good points!

Very few rules, no paperwork, plenty of tea. Opportunities to try lots of different jobs.

Only a few ins/outs are very hard work, many are very simple.

Always been useful for people who've been to the local college - but this year they can't help.

Bad points!

The theatre is on a pier - meaning plenty of box pushing, and trolley pulling when people arrive.

Parking is dreadful - most people find free spaces, but there's a bit of a walk.

The outs, especially Thurs/Fri/Sat usually involve stopping drunken women stealing flight cases and running off with them - while trying to load a truck.

Content wise - the kind of shows are Chuckle Brothers, Derek Acorah, Cannon & Ball, Duncan Norvell, Jim Davidson, Paul Zerdin, The Searchers, Dominic Kerwan, Jimmy Carr, Joe Pasquale, Rock and Roll shows, Little Big Club, Abba Tributes, Forever in Blue Jeans, Colin Fry, Jethro, Jackson Tribute, Chubby brown, a Magicians Convention.

So a rotating stream of one or two nighters.

As the pay isn't great, it's unlikely anyone living too far away would want to do the job, but it's usually fun - and for anyone used to working with lots of rules and restrictions, a breath of fresh air.

Historically, we always have the same team of people back in a kind of accidental rotation, but some this year are on contracts that finish too late, or have commitments they can't get out of, and as the job is only for the summer, ending at the end of September - it's not the kind of job you'd leave somewhere to go to.

As some of the shows are adults only - the same restriction applies to the staff - we can turn a blind eye to 17, maybe 16 if you don't look it - and we are just as happy with girls as the fellas. No huge muscles pro experience required, just a willingness to do most things, and have at least some working muscles. Most of all, we just need common sense.

As a guide to the distance for travel - Norwich is probably the furthest west our people come from, Lowestoft in the south, and perhaps Potter Heigham northwards. To anyone outside the area - Potter Heigham is the village where there is a bridge over the broads too low for boats to pass under and too steep for lorries to go over. The shows seem to cater for all age ranges, but none of it would be thought of as high art - Kiss me Quick hats and over stretched boob-tubes and flip-flops would sum up the audience pretty well.

If you fancy it and are in the area, drop me a PM and I'll provide more sensible info. I'd prefer somebody who could do all the shows, rather than somebody who could only cover a few dates for continuity purposes, as many shows repeat the same day each week.

Paul

EDIT - ALL SORTED - THANKS

Archived