Getting into backstage work

Hi guys, how is the best way to go about getting into media careers like back stage work?? My sister wants to do something in this industry but doesnt know the best route. She doesnt really want to go to university. She is 19 and very keen. Is there any apprenticeships in this trype of work and what is the pay like.

Cheers Guys

:rolleyes:

Hi guys, how is the best way to go about getting into media careers like back stage work?? My sister wants to do something in this industry but doesnt know the best route. She doesnt really want to go to university. She is 19 and very keen. Is there any apprenticeships in this trype of work and what is the pay like.

I'm not sure I'd call backstage work a media career.

Volunteering at local theatres or getting involved in am-dram groups is one way to do it and to try out the various roles.

You do not do this for the money. If she is worried about what the pay is like, look elsewhere...

• 2 weeks later...

Best thing to do is contact you local crew (there are several) and start getting crewing work on various events. Local crews ALWAYS want more people

Celtic Crew - they also do a lot of sub contract work for Stage Mirracles on festivals etc. well respected

Rock City - they are a big company covering Plymouth, Cardiff Birmingham etc, excellent training given. application via website.

Many people shun local crewing butin fact it is a great place to start, a friend of mine works local crew and got hired for receint the Coldplay Tour. I started local crew which lead me to working as a Rigger.

Seth Oliver (07712542334) runs a small local crew in Newport servicing the Celtic Mannor.

Then approach local Theatres, all will have casual staff used for get is/outs and for stage work on larger shows or covering holidays etc.

Then approach local audio visual companies regarding freelance work as an all round technician/warehouse day work. For this you will need insurance , circa £200/year contact Doodsons Insurance Brokerssmaller companies are always looking for lower skilled workers to just help but dont expect much more that minimum wage. with some experience you can work for larger companies who expect a reasonable level of skill but are happy to pay for it.

This will help see many aspects of the industry within a year she will be well away. Good Luck

Archived