avolites pearl 2004

Charlietatt

Hi

I'm just wondering if the avolites pearl 2004 is still any good and still worth getting one second hand ?

Cheers

For controlling moving lights or generics or a mix of both in a music venue or small tour etc... yes they are absolutely fine and getting quite cheap.

For controlling moving lights or generics or a mix of both as well as controlling multimedia sources and pixel mapping LED fixtures whilst still being able to fit in your rucksack... no they're not much good.

And, for using as a defence against zombie attack... no they're not very good for that either.

So, it might be wise to state your intentions as well as your question. And maybe your budget. And maybe anything else you feel relevant.

Hi

I'm just wondering if the avolites pearl 2004 is still any good and still worth getting one second hand ?

Cheers

We've got one here and I think it's great. Depends what you're using it for. Couldn't comment on whether it's worth getting second hand I'm afraid.

Its an all time classic and superb all-round workhorse. Okay there are now a whole heap of new generation boards but for something thats easy to use, with a bunch of faders it still can't be beat.

As long as your used desk has not been sitting in some horrid club for years getting beer and ash tipped into it you should be okay. Even one that is ex hire stock will probably be okay as it least it will have been checked and service/cleaned more often than an installed unit.

Also check with Avo as they can offer a refurb service I believe.

Still a good desk. For moderate scale live gigs it is just fine. Avolites give good support as do the thousands of people that use their products. It would be definitely worth considering installing the upgrade to convert it from 2004 to 2008 (adds USB drive support) Costs about £350 + VAT

Still a good desk. For moderate scale live gigs it is just fine. Avolites give good support as do the thousands of people that use their products. It would be definitely worth considering installing the upgrade to convert it from 2004 to 2008 (adds USB drive support) Costs about £350 + VAT

Seconded, The one major draw back is the use of the 3.5" floppy drive for personalitys and saving show files which is sorted with the upgrade. Would be ok if used just for an install but if you're using it in a different situation every day then you will find it annoying.

cheap alternative is to ship it with a 3.5" floppy to USB external drive. Then at least you have a way of getting new personality files in the desk from a laptop.

Not a bad desk - although the lack of virtual dimmer channel capability for LED fixtures can be annoying! Always check serial number against AVO's list of stolen desks though as there are a few stolen ones floating about.

Archived