ETC Element- Manual attribute control?

IRW

Hi All,

I've got an Element on Demo to plot and run a show next week, and have also hired a couple of Mac 500's that I'm using with it.

I've been playing with the OLE trying to work out how to control them from the Element, and I'm a bit stuck with what I would call fine/manual attribute control. (but I'm not talking about 16 bit resolution!)

Screenshot of OLE:

http://www.irwdesign.com/br/elementOLEscreenshot.jpg

For example, if I want a rotating gobo, I know to click the gobo image, select the 'rot' option, then control the speed with the gobo ind/spd virtual wheel.

What I am struggling with is how to control the speed of a rotating prism, as far as I can see, there is no 'Beam FX Speed' wheel. Clicking on the 'Beam FX Select::' title brings up a wheel to the left of the panel, entitled 'Beam FX Select', but this just wheels through the buttons that you can see in the screenshot. (i.e. open/3 facet prism -/3 facet prism off/3 facet prism +/etc etc). Looking at the Live table it looks like it's referencing some sort of preset focus palettes.

If I wanted to do this on my 300, I'd just hit up 2.7 (or whatever attribute number prism is!) and wheel it to whatever speed I wanted- surely there must be a manual control on Element somewhere?

Thanks,

Ian

Well it seems as though I've answered my own question- once I got the desk and lights in front of me today, the 'Beam FX Select' wheel acts as expected, after clicking one of the rotate options, then tweaking the wheel! I wonder if there is a bug in the OLE because on the desk when I turn the 'Beam FX Select' wheel, it doesn't move through the little pictures, it actually alters the speed of the prism.

Ian

How was plotting movers on an element? Was it a nightmare?

I've got to admit, it's not the easiest, but it is doable- Mainly due to the laggy-ness of the Pan/Tilt, even with an intellimouse trackball, although this may be due to the sensitivity settings which don't seem to do a huge amount. I wouldn't want to be plotting more than a couple without adequate time to set up focus pallettes.

All other bits are fairly straightforward, and the students that I've had on it are picking it up very quickly, so despite the above, it's still my desk of choice once I get allocated some budget to buy one to replace the school's ageing Frog and unsuitable (for what we do are asked to achieve with our bigger shows) Smartfade 1248. Once I've got the show out of the way, I'll see if we can put some sort of review together.

Archived