Sound Effects

soundesk

I always prefer making/mixing my own sound effects after a chat with the director rather than just buying somebody else's idea of what things should sound like. Frankly, it can be the most creative and enjoyable part of the job!

So, instead of just buying a CD, do some searching for sound elements at THE FREESOUND PROJECT. Then mix/layer/edit what you want on your computer. Software that could do this might be AUDACITY which is free or REAPER which is free to try and cheap to buy.

Or, if you're really keen, recording your own effects is great fun and very creative.

I always prefer making/mixing my own sound effects after a chat with the director rather than just buying somebody else's idea of what things should sound like. Frankly, it can be the most creative and enjoyable part of the job!

So, instead of just buying a CD, do some searching for sound elements at THE FREESOUND PROJECT. Then mix/layer/edit what you want on your computer. Software that could do this might be AUDACITY which is free or REAPER which is free to try and cheap to buy.

Or, if you're really keen, recording your own effects is great fun and very creative.

Absolutely. Recording your own is more fun, and creative, and with the advent of handheld digital recorders pretty easy. I have powered a Sennheiser MKH60 for a couple of hours off the batteries in my Zoom H4.

Mac

Archived