Cameral Operator Career

I'm looking for any information or advice on how to get started in a career as a camera operator.

I'm currently a C.A.D technician but looking to start a career as a camera operator as it as been my desire for many years but I have never pursued it im 27 now and I know its going to be difficult to get in the industry but I dont want to let that stop me.

I have a passion for films,affects and video editing im fascinated by cinematography and think that it can sometimes have more of an impact on a film than the actual dialogue.

I would be most grateful for any information or advice on training courses or ways of getting into this industry with no experience I've done a lot of research on the net and found a lot of courses but I dont know which is most suitable so if theres any camera operators or anyone who can help me with there experience and knowlege it would be much appreciated

Thanks

Darren

Depends on what kind of camera op you want to be. You can be a studio cameraman, and the career path is usually via being a camera assistant. The big studios still have a few on the staff crews. Camera assistants cable bash, they prepare the equipment, rig it, and assist the cameraman in the studio. Sometimes helping with complex compound moves - that the cameraman can't do on his own. They also get the chance to practice and practice. The other type of camera job is PSC. You buy your own equipment, and in general work on your own. Nowadays many also have become editors too, so they deliver finished products. Very few have had orthodox college/uni training, many used to be staffers for BBC and ITV and transferred, often reluctantly to self-employed status when the broadcasters downsized. Very few do not own equipment. The catch 22 for newcomers is that the equipment is expensive. So the cheapest acceptable quality camera for 'professional' use is going to cost you probably £6000. A tripod and head is really important and decent ones will cost over a grand, but you can get some second hand. Add a decent computer and edit software and the price steams upwards! For newcomers - you can't borrow this kind of money without a decent credit rating - hopefully, you'll have that now being a bit older. The really annoying thing is that no matter what equipment you buy, jobs come in that need specific kit so you end up having to hire in different cameras and lenses.

Google The Guild of television Cameramen - this will find you an organisation who support their members. They do courses for their members and they're really very good.

However - bad news - the universities have churned out hundreds of 'trained' media people, and they're all out there, equipped with DSLRs, making 'cinematic' stuff. Some are pretty good, but most just fall away.

On our site here - most of our video talk is to do with video for production. So screens and live events get coverage, but not general video work. In my area of the country, there are not very many non-wedding video people, and we know each other fairly well, and often hire to each other. This makes it very difficult for the newcomer. The equipment costs are the key feature - kit lifespan is pretty short. Cameras seem to have just a year or two in production before being superseded, which hits resale. I need to buy a new camera - have done for 2 years now. I've come close to using the credit card twice, and each time just before doing it, a new one suddenly appeared. I now have expensive cameras from 15, 10 and 5 years ago sitting here. The oldest one died a couple of weeks ago, and Sony will want around £800 to service it - so it has become a good quality direct to screen camera - it's recording days are over. My video work shows a small profit, but only just.

I'd suggest that if you are already doing video, then just go for it and learn as you go - there are excellent books around. My own view is that uni/college training in this subject is not really worth it. Unless you will be working with their style and their equipment type, then it's just not that useful. There are a lot of excellent under-employed video people around.

Archived