8 channel audio mixer for Professional Theatre

paulears

Just unearthed the original sound system used in the theatre when it was built. Two units, one a mixer/pre-amp and then a valve amp unit for the column loudspeakers.

2 microphones in the floats, with a centre riser microphone, that raised out of the floor by a small up/down/stop panel in thee wings (with manual backup lever), one other mic each side, labelled ps and op, and one final knob labelled grams. Each rotary control has an on/off switch. No gains, no eq, no send and no master. The shows at the time looked like the poster - so not exactly simple.

Interesting to see how sound has moved on.

http://www.earsmedia.co.uk/oldamp3.jpg

http://www.earsmedia.co.uk/brit5.jpg

To be honest, I did have some of the mics - All STCs, but they were ebay'd last year - all were working bar one, and they fetched very good prices. This system lasted until the 70s when it was replaced with a Shure Vocalmaster system. I still have that somewhere, although that is in a pretty rough state, with the matching amp. two loudspeakers are still hanging, but to remove them, I need to disturb the mountings which drop through an asbestos panel and unsealing this has been banned by the local environmental people without the spacesuit palava - so they are still dangling. The riser mic motor is still connected and spins - but the chain drive to the tube has broken. The manual wire controls are still functional - so if you heavy the lever in the wings, the chrome stand pops out of the floor!

We did wonder if with care, we could wait for a comedian or someone static to stand over it and then slowly raise it up their trouser leg? With a sheet, you could do an excellent levitation act!

Yep, the shows weren’t simple, and the actors weren’t amateurs. I often think of the imbalance of high tech equipment, what we have today, and the comparatively low quality of the “talents” who use it. The big misconception is: if we use the high tech equipment (like the pros), then our mediocre acting, singing, dancing, whatever will also come out high quality. It ain’t so, dudes, it ain’t so... :P

Just unearthed the original sound system used in the theatre when it was built. Two units, one a mixer/pre-amp and then a valve amp unit for the column loudspeakers.

Even without the mics that would still make an interesting foyer exhibit IMHO. Is that a Grand Master in the backround or just a picture of one?

What theatre out of interest?

The Britannia in Gt Yarmouth - and yes, it's a junior in the background - 4 shafts = 8 dimmers on each shaft. I did post a picture at some time, but I can't find it. Here's a new one.

http://www.earsmedia.co.uk/gm3.jpg

Archived