Stoping the damp in a tent over night

numberwrong

What would people suggest the best practise be for leaving a lighting rig (or other equipment) over night in tent (for festival)

Lamp off moveres but keep power to them? or leave the lamps on and shutters open?

What about LED stuff? on at 30% to keep a bit of heat in them?

I'm thinking about the potential for drips of water form condensation from the tent as well as a damp atmosphere.

Normal practice at the festivals I've worked has been to leave everything switched on but lamp off any movers. Flightcase lids on desks where possible and plastic sheeting over the top of dimmer racks etc. Just remaining switched on should provide enough heat to stop condensation forming. A tent that's been full of sweaty people and with a floor of grass is a rather humid environment - you can feel it as soon as you walk in.

I tend to leave everything powered on after a bad experience with an Allen & Heath ML4000 which worked Thursday night but not Friday morning when powered back on after a damp but rain less night, I believe it was condensation that did it.

A lot of people make the mistake of doing up any side walls / doors that the tent has over night as a "security" type thing. BUT, in practice, all you are doing is restricting airflow and keeping the humid air inside.

On site's where we have security over night, we leave sides / doors open and (as well as kit being left on) its never a problem.

Unless you've got a heated spa pool or something in there, it won't be all that damp, personally I would power everything off.

a few thousand hot sweaty punters dancing in your tent and by the end of the day you'll have pints of water (condensation) running down the roof and dripping down. In a well designed tent it'll run right to the wall and then drop, in poorly designed tents you'll get drip points in random locations in the tent that always seem to end up right above lanterns. Anything that won't survive drips of water should be left running. Desks/controls should be immobilised but left running (humidty changes screw the electronics in the longterm) with a suitable splashproof cover over the top.

Archived