A batten based conundrum

gordontech

Looking to purchase some LED battens for use on small scale events, split fairly evenly between private functions and small/mid scale gigs and shows. They aren't for a company just as useful personal stock to have for things I need an extra bit of punch on.

Option 1

Conventional 1m long battens with 10mm LED's. These being split in to 4 'cells' allows me to use them for small cyc's but also mean I can shoot them in to the audience for the extra effects that would bring. I have had great effects like this in the past doing x-factor tour shows and gigs.

An example being - LEDJ Spectra Wash Batten

Option 2

Smaller but slightly more powerful battens. These would mean that on stage curves and things, although smaller but would look smoother, no idea when I would do this but its tempting. Less of a surface area concerns me but its the typical lampie thing of me thinking more powerful = more useful.

This example being - LEDJ mini bar

Consumption and rigging is not an issue so no need to factor that in. I need advice on which to purchase based on

• Potential number of different effects possible
  • Impact for audience
  • Potential for ease of small scale rental

No banter about make's etc please. These were two examples I plucked off the top of my head.

Many thanks

Gordon

I have used the spectra battens you mention quite a few times, and if I remember correctly they only split into 3 segments (9 channel mode). They are good for eye candy, when facing the audience, but they are not massively bright. I have no idea what control you are using for this application but I normally use chamsys, with the fixtures in 3 segment mode, but patched at the desk as 3 individual fixtures - then the onboard pixel mapper can create nice effects very quickly. The spectras also have a good amount of stand alone programmes, if you don't need or want DMX control.

I would also have a look at lanta's offerings, which are a lot brighter if you wanted to use them as more of a wash.

unfortunately, I think they both have a place, which makes it a tough call, unless you can get a selection of both types. The one metre batterns to me, seem more useful, because they are just that... one metre. great for sticking in front of drum and backline risers pointing at the audience, as well as on the monitor line pointing back at the band etc, as well as up lighting walls etc. You could also mount them at wierd and wonderful angles on tank traps at the back for example, and create some interesting looks for eye candy and for the inpact on the audience with these lower powered bars, the audience really need to be looking at them, as most of them aren't particularly punchy, but it still works as and effect. But the smaller ones still have a place - bridging smaller gaps where a meter is too much, a tighter throw of light, so more useful for picking specific things out.

In terms of being able to hire out, I have two ways of looking at it. The meter battens, in my experience are more common, so are available at most of the usual hire sources. where as stocking a decent quantity of the smaller, less common bars could possibly make you the "go to" man in your area for those, as less rental houses own them. functionality between the two types, will be much of a muchness.

To me this is almost the decision between having less 1k pars, or more 500w pars to work with. Its different in every situation, but id personally go for less brightness, to be able to cover more area.

something to look at in my opinion would be http://www.lantalighting.com/products.asp?productcode=J72860&imageid=46&display=colours for a more punchy, but less eye candy approach to the meter batten.

Archived