Venues with Cinema facilities

medina

Hi,

with the onset of film stock being replaced by digital formats in the next 18 months (if rumours are correct), I am looking for venues that still play standard film stock and havent made the leap forward yet. If you are a tech at such a venue can you PM me so I can see what others thoughts and ideas are on how to progress either though the investment of new equipment or just sticking to archive prints.

Many thanks

Mods feel free to move if post is in wrong forum.

The timescale for digital only distribution isn't fixed in time; once something over 90% of cinemagoers in a country are watching DCS (digital), the 35mm prints will simply not be struck for that market. So once all the big chains get converted, any little cinema that hasn't or won't make the jump will be out in the cold. Thats the sort of cinema that I help run.

Once there isnt any new 35mm material doing the rounds then there will be little point in keeping old archival material, so access to that will dwindle over time. Arthouse are glad to see the back of 35mm as digital (rather than DCS) is cheaper than having 35mm prints struck.

The end is in sight.

Archived