Free Equipment

james.gardner

£3 roll of whatever gel will probably last you a while if you get a colour which is used often in productions. That way, you generally will only need to buy a small amount of specific colours as they're needed.

I'm assuming this is a typo - otherwise I need to know where you're buying gel at £3 a roll :-)

Definitely same, pay like £4.50 for a sheet!

I see the confusion I've caused here, sorry! http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif

I was referring to a standard Sheet (that comes rolled up) of LEE Gel when I said roll, as opposed to a full roll of Gel.

I won't edit my original post to prevent confusion.

Another possible source of free gell is film/TV location filming units, if you see any such working in your area, or know anyone working in that industry.

Filming uses large amounts of gell, though usually in only a very limited range of colours.

For the great majority of filming "white" light is required. This often requires the use of colour correction filters, these are normaly various shades of light blue to correct tungsten to daylight, and various shades of light amber to correct natural daylight or HMI to tungsten.

Less common is a light magenta used to correct flourescent to daylight, and a light green used to correct film type dichcharge sources to match industrial lighting.

Owing to the size of the light sources used for filming, very large pieces of gell are used. For filming in offices etc, sometimes the existing flourescent office lights are used, covered in a light magenta gel.

They usually throw it all away afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived