Showtech Multidim MK2,

EvaUH

Hey - I'm new here. Found you while searching on the above.

I'm working on a small scale VERY low budget production, going on tour - soon!

Is it possible to link two Showtech multidim MK2s, so I obtain f.ex. channel 1 - 8.

AND connecting theese to a Scanic IM Club 12 DMX controller?

I've used the Scanic with 8 x LED Pars on their own with no problems.

My challenge is, I need to add and control an additional 7 conventional theatre lamps on it,

AND thus be able to control them all.

The LX design is simple, but I need 1 hand to run sound at the same time.

(And yes, I am aware of the flickering problem of the Multidim...)

Does anyone have any other (better) suggestions?

Such as buying the Showtech Dimmer with the individual faders?

Can two of those (just as aesily) be linked?

I do already have the Scanic DMX controller...

Looking forward to hear from you! ;-) EvaUH

Hi Eva and welcome.

If I understand your situation correctly, you just link the Scanic controller to the first Multidim using a DMX cable and then take the output from the first Multidim to the input socket of the second Multidim using another DMX cable. You just need to make sure that the second Multidim has a different DMX address set, e.g. A005, if you want to gain eight independent channels.

HTH

Steve

You link the dimmers just as you would link the LED pars. DMX out of the desk, into dimmer1 and then into dimmer 2.

Address them, just as you would the LED pars (using the display and buttons) then control them from the faders on the desk.

Josh

@Steve: Thanx for quick reply! :-)

I'll get back if I have any problems!!

EvaUH

Hi Eva and welcome.

If I understand your situation correctly, you just link the Scanic controller to the first Multidim using a DMX cable and then take the output from the first Multidim to the input socket of the second Multidim using another DMX cable. You just need to make sure that the second Multidim has a different DMX address set, e.g. A005, if you want to gain eight independent channels.

HTH

Steve

@Josh: Thanx for quick reply! :-)

I'll get back if I have any problems!!

EvaUH

You link the dimmers just as you would link the LED pars. DMX out of the desk, into dimmer1 and then into dimmer 2.

Address them, just as you would the LED pars (using the display and buttons) then control them from the faders on the desk.

Josh

Hi EvaUH,

Just a quick one - this is what I found on the desks website -

features:

• 192 channel DMX controller
  • Adjustable fade time
  • Adjustable speed (manually via fader / tap sync button and music controlled via integrated microphone / external audio source)
  • Up to 12 scanners can be controlled
  • 16 DMX channels per scanner (2 banks, MIDI controllable)
  • 30 banks with 8 scenes each
  • 6 chasers with up to 240 scenes each
  • Blackout function

Basically if you are using 8 LED cans (assuming they are like 3 ch) your first LED Par should be A001 and last LED Par should be A022 - your first showtec dimmer pack should be addressed to A023 and so on hope this makes sense !

Any probs just hola

Basically if you are using 8 LED cans (assuming they are like 3 ch) your first LED Par should be A001 and last LED Par should be A022 - your first showtec dimmer pack should be addressed to A023 and so on hope this makes sense !

So should you always address the Fixtures to be at the beginning of the chain and the dimmers at the end or does it not matter? Or should you address them in the order that they are in the DMX chain? :)

So should you always address the Fixtures to be at the beginning of the chain and the dimmers at the end or does it not matter? Or should you address them in the order that they are in the DMX chain? :)

It doesn't matter - the position in the daisy chain has nothing to do with the addressing. I guess what LX SX meant was that if the LED cans are already in place and working nicely, then don't change any of that. Just put the dimmers to be addressed after the LED cans.

Not quite LXSX. The nature of the beast that is those style of controllers means that you have 12 blocks, each of 16 channels over two pages. Each scanner button will control 16 addresses in this sort of order:

If your LED pars are on the first 8, address the dimmers to 129 and 133 which'll give you all 8 channels of dimming on one set of faders without having to switch between scanners.

Josh

Hi all :-)

I finally got the Showtech dimmers today.

All the LED Pars are on same channel - i.e. 1.

And yes, they are all workin fine and already programmed.

I only use them as R G B, so, I assume I'll have to adress the first dimmerpack as channel 4?

Will try it out later today.

If any problems, be sure I'll be back :-)

EvaUH

Not quite LXSX. The nature of the beast that is those style of controllers means that you have 12 blocks, each of 16 channels over two pages. Each scanner button will control 16 addresses in this sort of order:

If your LED pars are on the first 8, address the dimmers to 129 and 133 which'll give you all 8 channels of dimming on one set of faders without having to switch between scanners.

Josh

Hey again!!

Now it's all working.

All numbers are fine.

BUT - how ther heck do I programmed a nice X-fade???

i.e. to go nicely from one que (scene) to the next, without too much of a dip

And not having to go via B/O?!

Is it not possible to record with times on the Scenic club 12?

I am trying to use it as a 'normal' LX desk - not as a scanner operator!

Am I in deep water here or what??

EvaUH

Hi all :-)

I finally got the Showtech dimmers today.

All the LED Pars are on same channel - i.e. 1.

And yes, they are all workin fine and already programmed.

I only use them as R G B, so, I assume I'll have to adress the first dimmerpack as channel 4?

Will try it out later today.

If any problems, be sure I'll be back :-)

EvaUH

Josh

Archived