Stacking cheap projectors

timsabre

My church is changing its projection arrangements and we're going to need a 6-8K projector. It seems like it would be a lot cheaper to buy two 4K projectors and stack them, as there's a big price jump around the 5K mark as you go into the more "pro" range of units - but I've never seen this done with little projectors (in the past I've done plenty of XF30 stacking at events). Is there a good reason not to do this? You'd need to find projectors with lens shift, but a lot of them have that feature now.

Not many of them have a true mechanical lens shift. Some of the 3-4k range have a mechanical lens shift but it does not do it without altering the geometry to a certain extent - not huge alterations, but enough that it can effect legibility.

Have you looked into second hand 6k LCD and single chip DLP projectors? Lots of companies are starting to phase this size out for newer HD models.

in practice stacking 2 units doesnt double the brightness and a 8k unit will be brighter than 2 4ks, you also will be hard pressed to find cheap units with acurate enough lenses and vertical shift to make it a cost effective exercise, let alone the fact that you will be burning two lamps rather than one { or two in a twin lamp unit...} If you want an cost effective 6k XGA unit the "Sanyo" manufactured Christie or Eiki units tick all the boxes. Its one of these situatations where there isnt a cheap magic answer, Id suggest aS/H pansonic single chip unit would be a decent shout other than the fact that its almost certainly going to need relamped and once youve done that, you arre looking at the same cost as a new unit. We supply a fair few people in the same situation, and my view is that whatever you buy you need to see an onsite demo, as its impossible to say whats bright enough, you need to proove it for yourself. Also if you cant afford the unit you need, scale your screen size back slightly.

I've got a 7k Eiki unit doing rear projection duties in a large and very brightly lit hall. It wasn't insanely expensive and produces very nice images. Model number is LC-X85; I'd suggest getting a demo if you can.

The Panasonic owned Sanyo factorys made exactly the same units for Sanyo, Christie and Eiki, and even now that Sanyo doesnt exist, the same products are still available in the rebadged versions. There is obviously a big hole in the affordable but pro projection market with Sanyo's passing and you can either buy the rebadges of the old models or look at Panasonics new LCD units which are essentially 2012 Sanyo models. Personally I wouldnt bother with the 7k unit mentioned as its an old design and allthhough good not that cheap, pay a bit more and you will get a DLP based Panasonic, Or pay a lot less for a more feature filled 6k...

May I ask what sort of money you wer looking at spending?

If you're looking for an affordable price easy to stack projector, it might be worth considering the 5k NEC NP3250 which does all the stacking stuff for you automagically. It's no barco but I've read some complimentary reviews.

Ballpark price seems to be about £1900 inc VAT per unit.

Can I point out that the nec mentioned above hasent beein available for about a year and is a long dead model, Nec currently make the Pa500x which is a similar speced unit for similar money, Its a decent enough unit as are LCD units from Hitachi, Panasonic, Christie, Eiki Etc Etc.

What specs are you looking for in particular? A quick look online and I found a 6k lumens Mitsubishi proj (XL6600U) for £1150 + VAT. Its XGA resolution, only 1000:1 contrast ratio, doesn't look like it has optional lenses which might be the deal breaker. Looks good though - a find for me even if its no good to you...!

The unit listed above hasnt been available for almost a year... there are many units actually available and perhalps it would make sense to recomend a unit that is A . available and B. somone has used and has a real world experience with and therefor can make an informed recomendation with the pros and cons. Looking online and reading a few specs then making a reccomendation surely helps no one.

Archived