Output varying in on FX16

Humey

I was working on a show last night and as I was playing a CD there was a noticeable change in volume during the track. At first I thought it was the song itself (it had been edited) but upon trying a different CD and testing it on a little portable player it would seem the problem lies in the sound equipment in the theatre. Any ideas? there is no drop on the output meter but a very obvious audible drop.

I am using a Soundcraft FX16, Behringer Ultragraph, Crown CE100 and a Denon DCD 615 cd player.

Are you saying this happens every time you play that particular track, at the same point in the track?

If so maybe someone has phase reversed part of the track? or changed the eq during editing?

It happened on a number of different tracks that I tried, at first I thought it was the editing that was the problem.

These sort of faults on the outputs of an (unloved?) analogue desk are fairly common, especially as IIRC the fx16 has a single circuit board construction. Did it fade in then out, or jump suddenly, or disappear? I couldn't make a particularly accurate guess without a bit more of an idea. Assuming there's been no unauthorised fiddling with the rig, my starter for ten was going to be some sort of dry solder joint near the outputs, but looking at the block diagramthere doesn't seem to be many points of failure.... Either way it will probably need a trip to the menders! Perhaps you could see whether the mono output works?

Archived