Source for or alternative to Behringer VX2000

S&L

For one particular singer I work with, I use a voice processor as above, a little gate to keep out the drummer, a little compression to tighten up the peaks and troughs with the band thundering behind and a little tailored parametric eq for thickness and warmth - 330Hz plus 5db, for warmth, 1.7kHz plus 5db for presence, 8kHz plus 2db for breath. It's an odd set up (or so I think) but I arrived at it with the singer concerned, working by ear and it works for her.

Disconcertingly, the thing stopped working - to be honest I think someone in the rehearsal unit killed it while I wasn't looking!

So I need to replace it or find an alternative. Ebay's stock of used units seems temporarily dry and the unit has long since gone out of production, without a direct equivalent. oh and I don't have a fortune in my pocket to spend (100 quid second hand would be stretching it but for a useful unit, the work it brings would be worth it.)

I can live without the gate, but the compression and parametric really do seem to help this otherwise high quality voice.

Any suggestions?

Focusrite Plantinum Voice Master channel strip

You'll find it looks awfully "familiar"...

Price may be a challenge.

I have one of these (not for sale!) and they are rather good as a money channel.

Focusrite Plantinum Voice Master channel strip

You'll find it looks awfully "familiar"...

Price may be a challenge.

I have one of these (not for sale!) and they are rather good as a money channel.

wow..I guess they had to get the idea from somewhere! I'm looking for either but both appear thin on the ground - thanks for the help, I cannot imagine that the focusrite will die sooner than another behringer - finding one before the next gig on the 14th may be a challenge tho!

thanks for the idea. do you rate them? unfortunately there isn't one in the UK and those prepared to ship to the uk want £250 including postage which at the moment is a little too rich for my pocket - but it does give me another unit to look out for!

well thank you new zealand and thanks to all of you - I have a focusrite voicemaster on the way £100 second hand, keeping my fingers crossed it does the trick!

• 3 weeks later...
First time out for the focusrite voicemaster last weekend. still getting the hang of the gain on the unit (low levels in and out on the dials to produce zero gain?) ..but the EQ section is much more sensitive - AND helpfully so.

Archived