D&B or Turbosound

londonjim

Hi,

I wrote a post asking about D&B stuff, and which you would reccomend. And we have had long discussions, and it looks like most of our work will be rock'n'roll and theatre..............so my question to you, is would you choose for a mixture of applications Turbosound or D&B.

A local company has D&B and they seem to swear by them, however, I am lead to beleive that the C4 is for rock'n'roll - but people say Turbosound is better.

I knowthat D&B is suppost to be very efficient, but the thing is only D&B amps seem to drive them.......does Turosound work in the same way?

Also, does Turbo run on EP6?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Having heard both systems on many shows I would say Turbosound is better if set up correctly,nexo also I find a excellent price to quality product.We use Qube and although v.good in hindsight I wish I bought Nexo.due to A)sounding good B)Discreet good looking product (important on presitge work) C) good selection rigging acc's.

I'd go d&b for FOH and Turbosound for Monitors.

I have heard it said that Monitors are the most important speakers you will ever have because if the band can hear themselves properly, they will be happy and if they are happy, they'll play better, which will please the audience.

I kinda like that philosophy too and would be inclined to agree.

if you want multi-use speakers, then C4 would not be the choice - They're more hardcore rock and also, put a DJ through them and they will love you for evermore! Esp if you have B2's aswell.

That aside, if you're only gonna be stacking and flying, then go for something like the C7 system (2 subs and 1 top per stack).

I know a place (a localish church) which use the C6 subs with C6 or E6 tops - this is if you're gonna be using speaker stands/poles. - sounds pretty cool, but the LF isn't very prominent.

d&b can only be used by d&b amps - because of the efficiency matching thing they've done - use d&b amps on other speakers... you'll blow them up. Use other amps with d&b speakers and you won't get much out of them.

This is what I was told in 2002 when I first got to know about them.

Also, I phoned up my favourite hire company the other day to enquire about some C7 for a rock gig I'm doing sound for and they said that although they're a little moreexpensive to hire, everyone who has used them, don't want to use anything else ever again, afterwards and are willing to spend a little more money to have the delights of d&b to play with.

I don't think turbosound do this. But then, if you buy turbosound speakers you won't want to subject them to cheap amps because they won't do the sound justice.

I don't know much about turbosound, though they are based about 10 mins from my house, but I know they're amazing speakers too. - Industry leaders aren't they?

I think more hire companies and large events are specifying d&b audiotechnik for speaker system of choice.

I reckon you should use turbosound as monitors (TFM-450's) if you use them, and use d&b as FOH

Either way, they're a heck of a lot of money.

Having said this, I'd use either if I could afford them! but being an ex-student of 2 yrs, I'm still rather poor! :P

Sorry this was a long post, but I tend to waffle a bit.

Si

Fathered Sounds

Our general route is to use D&B - C7 rig or C4 rig depending on venue size witha B2 under the stage on infra mode - very nice it is too. We tend to use the matrix outs on our K3 desk to control the B2 seperately.

On stage, teh D&B Max 15's are good, and we tend to use our turbosound monitors only for electric guitar and bass, who can hear themselves clearly from amps, and just need the singers etc as we don;t think teh quality is a match for the D&B. That is not to say that they aren;t good, just that they (Turbosound 212) are a bit old and tour weary now.

Our local hire compnaies use D&B predominantly for both FOH - C7, C4. C6, Q series and monitors - Max 12, Max 15, E3.

yeah im a fan of NEXO, gives you a nasty shock when servicing em if ya not carefull.

Sorry to hi jack a little but what does everybody think to martin blackline?

ive just been given 4 x H3 bi-ampted cabs, and 4 x S218 cabs.

with new martin E1600 amps.

after a bit of playing around I think they are a great sound

I hear Blackline speakers are a good thing. Would like some of their subs to go with my non-blackine tops. They're quite punchy I hear - good for kick drums!

They'd definately be an improvement on my gear, though I do like my speakers. (discontinued "Animation - Stageworks System 2's" (12"+1" horn) very good though).

Yey!! ;) ;)

we are getting a bit of a mini overhaul of our sound system in our hall, including a set of turbosound speakers, two subs and four mid/highs. Expecting good reuslts now after all these posts endorsing them

John :blink:

I used the Turbosound TXD stuff in a 350 seater ballroom, we had 2 151's, a pair of 121's as delays and a pair of 215 subs. Was very impressed by it all, used for lots of caberet style things, conferences, fashion shows etc, although never realy got the chance to put a good rock band through it! Would like to know how it performs in that situation.

Munky

I used the Turbosound TXD stuff in a 350 seater ballroom, we had 2 151's, a pair of 121's as delays and a pair of 215 subs.  Was very impressed by it all, used for lots of caberet style things, conferences, fashion shows etc, although never realy got the chance to put a good rock band through it!  Would like to know how it performs in that situation.

Munky

I've got a pair of TXD215 subs in a 300 seat theatre, they have worked out really well for us. They are paired with the original RCF Vision PA281s They have worked well for us and were really good value for money.

I'm new here but I work with both systems at work. I would use D&B for speaches but they have quite a high lo roll off. for meatier sound its turbo sound all the way be it bands, dj or speaches (it doesn't tend to feed back as much as say EV MT2. turbo sound has ther perfect high quality response, you can pick out edits on Dido's albums (boy does she have an appauling studio engineer).

Probably completely off topic but does anyone remember those turbosound monitors which looked like two overgrown tweeters in a wedge? Back in the days when I ponsed around in a very bad 80s rock band our chosen PA company had some and I loved 'em. Never thought much of the main rig kit but these were great if you had a guitarist who played on eleven. The only monitors I could ever guarantee to hear. Only trouble was they were so directional that you stepped 2ft to the left and heard bugger all! And they were furry which, in the eighties meant it must be good kit :)

I also remember when doing showcases at NOMIS they had 10k of Turbosound in a room as big as your front garden. I asked the engineer why and he said they were fed up of metal bands blowing the rigs so worked on the principle that you'd go deaf before you damaged it!

Anyway, back to the serious stuff.

Note to self, don't drink wine and post on forums......

Archived