cat 5 cable

trussmonkey

If you intend connecting the kit direct to the CAT5, it will work, but not reliably over any length. Fine for patching (it's what I use on a rack of satellite receivers, DAs & VCRs) but the 10m link to another rack tends to loose the colour info.

You can get devices to convert the video to a more robust signal and back at the other end (balun?) However these COST.

If you intend connecting the kit direct to the CAT5, it will work, but not reliably over any length.  Fine for patching (it's what I use on a rack of satellite receivers, DAs & VCRs) but the 10m link to another rack tends to loose the colour info.

You can get devices to convert the video to a more robust signal and back at the other end (balun?)  However these COST.

Balun is correct Andrew. We've been using a pair of these (Intelix V2A2 Balun) for a couple of live shows with the student TV station, and the quality after about 300m of Cat5 is very good (if you avoid fans, mains power etc). They cost about £95 each, so may be out of your budget. Another thing to look at is the Video LAN Client software at Video LAN, its in use on our broadcast trial and the quality is good, also you can use it to stream media, so you could stream stuff from your computer on to your television etc.

HTH

PN

We regularly use CAT 5 to display vga signals all over the place, we don't use the baluns, but have active convertors, with a variable drive system on them. These cost £280 per set and I have found that the cat 5 is no use for short runs, less than 5m, but quite handy for 100m ones.

Regards

Paul...

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Trussmonkey,

The best in "AV down CAT5" is from Scion Technology. I've used a lot of their kit and we've put TV down 2 full boxes of CAT5 end to end, just to see what happens. Not broadcast quality at 2000ft, but still watchable.

They do senders and receivers built into Scart connectors if you want something very cheap and small, or in proper boxes for professnial use. They all have a trim control to optimise the video signal. They are used by several of the UK's major supermarkets for in-store displays.

Scion Technology

Trust this is useful.

Pete.

I've got two sets of the extron cat5 TX/RX sets. They take a VGA 15pin in and out, sending down the CAT5. Good results at over 100m. Apparently CAT5 senders work ok for VGA signals, but compress the signal when it's analogue video causing bad picture over longer distances. Apparently they take the black burst out or something simillar, so when viewed on a scope the signal quality is not good.

Archived