Ion SW.1.9.10 Scroller build & calibration

JohnMac

Good folks,

I'm trying to set up a custom scroller with 22 colour frames. I'm having problems in getting the scroller editor to recognise frames greater than 16. As one populates the scroller list, so the calib column generates an initial calibration value, at frame 16 its' reach binary 255, and subsequent frames remain blank.

Anyone able to 'highlight' what I'm doing wrong.... :(

Regards

John Mac.

Knowing nothing of Ions, and little of scrollers, but I do know that 255 is the greatest value that can be represented in an 8 bit DMX attribute.

So, either (a) The Ion knows more than both of us about scrollers, and knows that you can only have 16 frames on the scroller, or

(b) there is a setting somewhere in the personality that calibrates the DMX value to the "width" of a gel in the string, and that number needs to be changed. Of course, one needs to ensure that the scroller gets the same memo, or the gels wont scroll full frame, and you'll only be able to get as far down the string as you could with 16 gels, even though the Ion says you are on frame 22.

What are the scrollers that you're using?

EDIT: I'm just wondering if the personality you've chosen t create a custom string for won't allow more than 16 frames because that's the max the scroller can have in real life.

It's been a while since I've created a custom string on an EOS/Ion. I'll have a play around on a console in a bit and see if I can be any more help!

From the ION operations manual :

Keep in mind that any fixture has its own limitations. For example, a Source Four Revolution color scroller is limited to 24 frames. If you have created a custom color scroll with 30 frames, the Source Four Revolution will only provide you access to the first 24 frames that you created.

You might be using a scroller fixture definition with 16 frames, so I think you may need to use or create one with 22 frames or more.

Many many thanks for all your contributions, food for thought and a good hot cup of coffee to stimulate the little gray cells, which sadly appear to be dying out at an alarming rate..... (I'm told it's an age thing). :huh:

Tim & Gyro nudged me in the right direction. cleared (deleted) the scroller fixure and started again from scratch. First set the channel as a dimmer and proved to myself all 22 frames were accessible, then from the Generic folder selected a new fixture template to modify, adding the required number of ranges.

Let there be light!

Regards to you all

John Mac.

Archived