Floppy Drive Dimensions (old Strand 520)

eddy

Does anybody know the dimensions of the floppy drive in a non-I Strand 520? (Or can you measure at least the height if you're near a 520?)

I've a suspicion it's half or third height laptop-style but no way to confirm this.

Am trying to source either a replacement drive or a funky 34-wayIDE-to-USB-magic-thing but it must mount in the same space in the console.

Thanks,

Eddy

USB floppy drives are laptop drives inside, but it depends on what the connection is on the back of the drive itself. You could pick one up for a few quid on ebay and rip its guts out...

I have one of the standard sized 34-wayIDE-to-USB-magic-thingies™, which would fit if you took it out of the casing and mounted it yourself using a bit of ingenuity and epoxy... That does have a 34 pin IDE connection. If you wanted a floppy drive AND a 34-wayIDE-to-USB-magic-thing™, you may be able to do it by getting a long floppy drive IDE cable. You will notice that about 6 of the wires are twisted over towards one side of the ribbon near the drive; that is drive A:

The connector before that twist is for a second floppy drive; drive B:

Having never tried it on anything other than a PC, I can't say it would work on that desk, but since they're pretty much PC-based anyway, there's a good chance it will.

Archived