outboard reverb - what do you choose and why?

S&L

My outboard reverb, an alesis midiverb 4, died earlier this week, which is to say it still lights up but doesn't want to play any more. I borrowed a duplicate from another engineer for last night's gig and was able to program in my favourite settings and all was well. I need to pick up a replacement but it led me to wonder what others used for good budget reverb. (bonus points for something that has a gate on the reverb). More than probably I will replace with a duplicate midiverb but I was wondering what others used and why?

The Lexicon MX300 is pretty nice for a budget unit and the usb functionality is quite nice. I picked up a second hand M-oneXL which has served me very well (it did require some repairs though)

A second hand rev500 is also a pretty servicable verb.

Edit:Forgot to say that the mx300 can be programed via usb as well as being able to work within your daw.. As for the M-one I really like the sound of it and it's also pretty easy to create your own effects, nice flexable routing options too.

I really like my TC Electronic M300. It seems to have been replaced by the M350 now, of which I have no experience, but really like its' little brother. Can be had for around the £160 mark from our German friends. It's also a multi effect as well. Once you get your head round the routing for the dual mode, it's pretty good.

+1 for the TC Electronic reverbs--lovely sound and easy to use once you get used to them. Like Cedd, I've heard the MX300, not the newer 350.

However, sometimes you see a used M-One XL for something near the price of a new MX300....if you can get one of those, it's one of my two favourite effects units ever. They're definitely worth watching for.

Or, also second hand, if you see pretty well any of the Yamaha SPX range for a price you can afford, snap it up!

That said, the Alesis plate reverbs were old favourites of mine....

Or, also second hand, if you see pretty well any of the Yamaha SPX range for a price you can afford, snap it up!

Although the SPX series have been rider favorites for what seems like centuries, in my opinion, they were never a great sounding effect unit, they were only popular because they were popular, and everyone knew how to use them.

Although the SPX series have been rider favorites for what seems like centuries, in my opinion, they were never a great sounding effect unit, they were only popular because they were popular, and everyone knew how to use them.

SPX the SM58 of reverbs?

Lexicons MX pop up at the right money and are worth a look and another one to add to the list Roland 330's

Well, I actually LIKE the SPX series, having used everything from the 90 to the 2000.

On the other hand, I've never got on very well with Lexicon 'verbs (even though I know they are universally loved I find them a bit metallic) so I guess it's down to personal taste.

If I say I don't like the SM58 can I get at least some of my street cred back?

HD,

I have a TC M350 and it's the reverb I use most. I always put it in a rack (with a couple of DBX160s) if I'm off to just engineer a gig somehwre, so I know I have something dependable and simple to use. The sounds, especially the plate 2, are rich and diffuse. I much prefer it to the Lexicon MX200 which was more expensive. I know neither are in the "Touring rider class" but the TC is hard to beat for the money. It does have a mains socket too, unlike many which have an annoying "wall wart" power supply.

If you want to hear it, this is a live track that I used the M350 on: Vocal track.

Cheers,

PA

For about 40 quid I bought a Behringer mini reverb box. Simple to use, perfectly adequate for stage vocal reverb and effects and I won't be upset if I break it. Might tide you over until you can find something better. I grew up with Yamaha SPXs and I like them a lot, but get the 1000 or later 'cos they don't sound as gritty.

I agree with Bobbsy, you are probably going to be better off buying a quality second hand unit, rather than a cheap new one. My vote would go to the Yamaha SPX990...they are built like tanks and sound great too!

Archived