Lighting Plans

Jambo_UK

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question with a lighting plan for a production what symbol should I use for an intelligent effects as I'm doing an A level in theatre studies and my teacher has no idea what symbol it is (mainly because I'm the first serious technical student in the past six years all the rest have acted for it)

The effects I plan to use are a Strobe and a couple of moving heads,

Thanks for the help

from

Jambo

Whatever you want, as long as you make it clear in your legend which symbols relate to which fixtures.

There are no concrete standards for this sort of thing - whatever works for you is fine, as long as it makes sense and it's clear to anyone reading the plan.

Having said that, there are a lot of decent (and free) symbols to be had from the Modelbox website. I'm not sure whether Steve has got around to adding the moving light symbols yet, but it's worth a look.

Just downloaded the lighting symbols, and I can't get them to open in TURBOCAD?? I know I need to get a new filter set to open the file, but I can't find it on Google (TBH I don't really know what to look for)

Any help greatly appreciated :-)

If you have the money, not that its£1000s, you can buy stencile for generics and MLs from Whitelight..........

I beleive they sell them for £25ea

Hey jim, I dont think the price is quite as high as that, I got some from them about 2 years ago as I lost mine, :unsure: but I think they were only £12, on the other hand I may well be complelty wrong, just trying to remember now...

Matt

Thinking back to designs and things I have done and read, there seems to be a common theme with the symbols. These symbols (unless WYSIWYG is equipped the same as the stencils) for example, VL5's seem to always have a simular look to the VL5, and VL6s always seem to have a 'dagger' shape look.........ok, bad example.

Maybe thats just me experiences?

that will probably be the 'symbols which look like the fixture they're representing' approach. Quite a common one.

in serious mode now, it really depends on the level of complexity - ie if its just a fag packet design then a box with a line through would suffice. Personally to avoid confusion I go for as neat and as similar to the fixtures as possible

Thinking back to designs and things I have done and read, there seems to be a common theme with the symbols. These symbols (unless WYSIWYG is equipped the same as the stencils) for example, VL5's seem to always have a simular look to the VL5, and VL6s always seem to have a 'dagger' shape look.........ok, bad example.

Maybe thats just me experiences?

http://www.vlsc.se/pics/Equipment/prod_vl6_thum.jpg

VL6

http://www.ihscelti.com/The%20Celtic%20Connection/CC%20Images/Dagger-Conqueror_small.jpg

Dagger

Hmm, the similarity in shape is quite remarkable. :P

Regarding WYSIWYG - it contains a whole ruck of symbol libraries, from simple to complex, that can be assigned to fixtures as required. There's no one specific WYSIWYG symbol set.

Archived