using standard 40watt lamps

Humey

In an upcoming production the director would like to use standard, round 40 watt bulbs, as used in domestic environments. They will be 4 of them hung in a window to create a feature. They need to be dimmable. Is this possible?

I am not much of a lampy so any advice and help would be appreciated.

They will be 4 of them hung in a window to create a feature. They need to be dimmable. Is this possible?

Yes. With a modern dimmer, it will probably just work. If the dimmer is older, you may need to add a higher wattage lamp in parallel so the dimmer "sees" the sort of load it was designed for. This ballast lamp could be in the dimmer room, wings, or even a lantern in your rig if it is always on the the special.

Im afraid we have 4 old Strand Mini 2's. Not very modern. Could you explain to me how to add a higher wattage lamp in parallel? How much higher wattage?

Take a look at this on the strand archive site. The blurb says the mini 2 is rated for a minimum of 60W up to a maximum of 2kW. Your four 40 watt lamps fall safely in that range. Should be fine.

If all four 40 watt lamps are to be on the SAME dimmer channel then it should be fine.

If each lamp is to be dimmed seperatly on its own channel, then you may need to add another lamp to reach the minimum dimmer load.

Or use 60 watt lamps, and dont turn them up full.

If all four 40 watt lamps are to be on the SAME dimmer channel then it should be fine.

If each lamp is to be dimmed seperatly on its own channel, then you may need to add another lamp to reach the minimum dimmer load.

Yes, true, I'd kind of assumed they were all on the same channel.

Yes, true, I'd kind of assumed they were all on the same channel.

It'd still work, mini 2's will dim a 15W pygmy lamp ok.

Archived