Robe ColourWash 250 DMX Issues

dmoorcroft

Hi,

Got a bit of a strange problem that I hope somebody may be able to advise on.

I have a robe colourwash 250 that isnt receiving DMX - I've troubleshooted all the cabling and have islated the problem to definitely be the fixture. I've tried both 3 and 5 pin connections

The problem was that the display continued to flash even when DMX signal was being sent to the fixture. After playing with the menu for a bit I now have the further problem that I cant set the unit back to DMX mode (when ever its reset it defaults to Master.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Cheers

I'd be looking at DMX Chip as a first stop, as if it stays blinking when you are clearly sending it data, it's either not getting it (cabling or connector failure), or just simply ignoring it (chip). As you've eliminated the first already, I'd hazard a guess at it being the second :)

These chips are opto-isolated from the rest of the circuit, and do tend to go pop now and then, just because, or cause they don't like what they see etc. I've had many go in Martin, Coemar, Futurelight and Robe (newer range), mainly on fixed installations, where they have just been installed and left, no plugging up / unplugging.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but in the interests of completion, I finally got round to opening the fixture up today and it was simply a case that the cable linking the XLR circuit board to the main board had worked itself loose. Huge thanks to JayeJsav for the advice!

On another note, I finally got round to cleaning out all of our 8 robe 250s (our oldest moving heads which have suffered a few years of abuse from flying drinks on the dancefloor) I gave them a blast out with a compressor and now 3 out of the 4 spots are showing a heat error (even after being allowed to cool down) - sounds to me like the compressed air may have damaged or mis-aligned the heat sensors. Interesting how its only the spots with issues and not the washes?

Can anyone advise whether it is possible for the heat sensors to become misaligned or similar, and, if this is the case, whether theres a reliable method of recalibrating/re-aligning them.

Thanks for any advice

Archived