LED Head torches

Stuart91

I'm on the lookout for some LED head torches. Hoping for a reasonably bright model, as it will be used for construction work outdoors as opposed to doing subtle things backstage.

Keen to get a model that takes AA batteries, as we have loads of "part-used" ones available from radio mics.

I had ordered up one of these from CPC, but it turned out to have AAA batteries, I assume a typo on the website.

A quick google search turns up plenty, but I thought it worth asking if anyone can recommend particularly good models. (Or indeed, any worth avoiding) I'm probably at the budget end of the market - not really looking to spend £70.

I can only think of three that use AA cells. (My preference since AA cells have three times the capacity of AAA cells.)

One is a big ugly thing from Poundland with a mass of LEDs and a big chunky 3 x AA battery pack. The others are generic torches which uses a single cell and step the voltage up to drive a high power LED. The one I have in my toolbag is LiteRay which I got from TK Maxx, and the one in my workshop is a Uni-Lite LED Micro which I bought from Rapid Electronics. I've also seen a similar one at Maplins.

Rapid prosafe head torch.

Rapid head torch identical to my toolbag one.

Cheap Maplin one.

Petzl's Pixa range run on 2x AA batteries, and depending on the model you choose have switchable sources for spot/wash/both.

Also benefit from being completely waterproof!

I get a few hours of burn time with fresh batteries on the bright spot setting (Pixa 3), after which it reverts to a lower power mode which lasts for a handful more hours. I can't remember the specs off the top of my head!

It doesn't quite last as long as my (now dead) Myo XP, also by Petzl. Running off 3AA batteries. However a trip into the washing machine killed it. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

Pixa's run to about £60, the Myo XP more like £80. So these may be stretching you're budget, but I would definitely recommend the initial payout for a quality product.

Can I say that I've had previous issues with Petzl build quality not actually being that good. Certainly my first Petzl LED torch, a Tikka had major internal contact issues which were entirely down to "value" engineering. Even the cheapest "bob the builder" kids head-torch is built better than that was.

How do the Petzl Pixa's do build quality wise? We've just bought a couple of Tikka's at work (hardly ever used, so it wasn't a big issue and wasn't worth going for anything more expensive) and I was a little bit disappointed. Particularly with the positioning of the battery clip. More than once now I've gone to turn it on and caught the catch instead. Cue lots of batteries flying out everywhere! Also it seems to have a bit of a flicker to it and generally feels a bit cheap and plastic. I'm looking for one at home at the minute, and it kind of put me off Petzl ones if I'm honest.

I second the LED Lenser option. I own a T7 (Handheld Torch) and it is phenomenally bright for something that runs on 3 x AAA Batteries. The Headtorches seem to be equipped with the same chip, and a quick test of them in Craplin shows a similar brightness.

They do all seem to run on AAA batteries however, but rechargeable models are available.

Lensar probably do an AA option. I was in a rush so phoned up my supplier and said "4 head torches and 4 handhelds please". A H7 and a T7 both with pouches, rarely had to replace the batteries compared to some of the dubious maglites.

It was to replace my petzl that wasnt as waterproof as it claimed.

How do the Petzl Pixa's do build quality wise?

[snip]

I have no issues with the build quality of the Myo XP or the Pixa. The Pixa has a nice thick headband, which does help with the larger than expected size and moderately heavy weight of headlamp. A nice big twist toggle turns the lamp on and off and between the different settings, nice a robust with quite tactile 'thunk' between each setting. Very easy to use with thick gloves on!

It also rotates 180degrees to so that the plastic lens cover is protected by the headband mount when not in use, saves having to worry about your screwdriver putting a nice large scratch across the lens when you throw it in your toolbox at the end of a long shift. The battery compartment is also quite secure, consisting of one large catch on the top. The catch is pretty sturdy and stiff owing to the seal required to make the unit waterproof.

I've had the Pixa 3 for about 6months now, being used in a range of environments but mostly outdoors including more than a handful of gigs in the rain. The unit is still working 100%, although the yellow colour isn't quite as yellow anymore due to dirt and the matt rubber of the casing.

One notable feature of LED flashlights and head-torches is that the low tech ones with three cells and a resistor or two will provide a gradual reduction in brightness until you decide it's too low and change the batteries. With the versions that boost the battery voltage to maintain a constant output, the battery life will be much shorter and will end abruptly.

There's a lot to be said for pound shop type LED headlights. Very simple units. I have a selection in my house that I bought to try out, and they work well.

A niggle I have with the expensive big name head-torches is that they often cheat the beam to make it look brighter by making it very narrow. My preference is for a wider beam to illuminate what I'm working on, and not just produce a dot on it.

I'd just echo this really. I've been really impressed with the Pixa headtorches and whilst the Pixa 1 is really good for a nice close even light without being too powerful backstage if your going to be outdoors look at the Pixa 2 or 3 version as you get a floodbeam/floodbeam & high beam as well. The switch actually got designed for the ultra marathon Ultra 52 (think its 52) headlamp thats 230quid!

The rotating body is a terrific idea and we've not had any problems reported on any of the ones we sell. The Tikka types are really climbing headlamps and so won't have an 'industrial' quality to them really.

Richard @ Flints

I have no issues with the build quality of the Myo XP or the Pixa. The Pixa has a nice thick headband, which does help with the larger than expected size and moderately heavy weight of headlamp. A nice big twist toggle turns the lamp on and off and between the different settings, nice a robust with quite tactile 'thunk' between each setting. Very easy to use with thick gloves on!

It also rotates 180degrees to so that the plastic lens cover is protected by the headband mount when not in use, saves having to worry about your screwdriver putting a nice large scratch across the lens when you throw it in your toolbox at the end of a long shift. The battery compartment is also quite secure, consisting of one large catch on the top. The catch is pretty sturdy and stiff owing to the seal required to make the unit waterproof.

I've had the Pixa 3 for about 6months now, being used in a range of environments but mostly outdoors including more than a handful of gigs in the rain. The unit is still working 100%, although the yellow colour isn't quite as yellow anymore due to dirt and the matt rubber of the casing.

Archived