Multicore Challenges

Matt Riley

Hi guys,

I've been tasked to look at a new multicore solution for church. We currently have a Studiospares 12/4 30m multi which somehow manages to be just over 20mm in diameter, which is stored on an old wooden cable drum.

I'm looking at a number of different solutions: Firstly, we keep the 12/4 monster and invest in a reel big enough to take a cable of that diameter. Having looked around at sound specific reels, the only reasonably priced one is this one, which is £80, and I'm not convinced it will take such a bulky multicore. Has anyone tried using this product and would anyone be able to hazard a guess whether that monster multicore might fit on? Does anyone know of any sound-specific multicore reels which would work for a reasonable price?

Secondly, I'm wondering whether there are any cost-effective solutions available from non-sound suppliers such as hozelock? I had a look at a standard hozelock reel the other day, and I reckon the internal diameter is a little too small for it to work, but maybe one of you has found the perfect product lurking in the depths of the CPC website?

Thirdly, I'm considering purchasing a complete new multicore. We're currently running out of channels as we grow - does anyone know of any sub £200 30m 28-32 channel (inc returns) reel mounted multis around?

I'm not averse to purchasing second hand either.

M

I've been tasked to look at a new multicore solution for church. We currently have a Studiospares 12/4 30m multi which somehow manages to be just over 20mm in diameter, which is stored on an old wooden cable drum.

I'm looking at a number of different solutions: Firstly, we keep the 12/4 monster and invest in a reel big enough to take a cable of that diameter. Having looked around at sound specific reels, the only reasonably priced one is this one, which is £80, and I'm not convinced it will take such a bulky multicore. Has anyone tried using this product and would anyone be able to hazard a guess whether that monster multicore might fit on? Does anyone know of any sound-specific multicore reels which would work for a reasonable price?

Thirdly, I'm considering purchasing a complete new multicore. We're currently running out of channels as we grow - does anyone know of any sub £200 30m 28-32 channel (inc returns) reel mounted multis around?

So, am I right in thinking that you need to rig-derig every week? Otherwise, so what about the size of the multi?

As for getting a new multi, I'd tend to get a second multi to run alongside your existing one. Benefits: a disaster to the cable won't kill the whole show, and you can have the stageboxes in different locations which may be helpful.

Afraid I don't have experience of multicore reels, but would want to ensure enough quality to be reliable.

It's issues like this that make me really rather hanker after a system with cat5 stageboxes!

Multicores on reels are a terrible idea - it's a lot of hassle to coil in and out and the cable can get kinked more easily. Figure of 8 your multicore into an appropriately sized flight case with a cutout in the side so you can close the lid when the multicore is run out. If you do get another multi then you can figure 8 the shortest / lightest one on top and leave the excess on the floor when in use. £200 is not enough money for a Multicore of that size - my experience with cheap multicore cable is that it breaks quickly inside the cable after light use. You want good connectors and cable and this will cost more money. It is worth it as the kit will last longer and you will spend less time fixing it.

Multicores on reels are a terrible idea - it's a lot of hassle to coil in and out and the cable can get kinked more easily. Figure of 8 your multicore into an appropriately sized flight case with a cutout in the side so you can close the lid when the multicore is run out. If you do get another multi then you can figure 8 the shortest / lightest one on top and leave the excess on the floor when in use. £200 is not enough money for a Multicore of that size - my experience with cheap multicore cable is that it breaks quickly inside the cable after light use. You want good connectors and cable and this will cost more money. It is worth it as the kit will last longer and you will spend less time fixing it.

Hi Shaggy - between you and me, I'm not a big fan of reels either, but I've been asked to sort out a reel, and so that's what im' doing :) In terms of cheap multis, I've used all sorts of multicores, from the loudest.co.uk ones, to thomann ones, to top of the range canford/VDC ones. My experience is that obviously if you're touring it heavily then go for the VDC black series multi, but for pub bands, churches and lighter usage scenarios, then I've found in the past that once you've sorted out the strain relief and replaced the desk end connectors with neutriks then they're more than reliable enough.

You may like to take a look at this thread from last year:

http://www.blue-room...6&hl=snake&st=0

headed 'tips for care of multicore'

I took up a number of these solutions and keep a snake of similar size to yours in a tool box similar to the one shown, from ebay for £25 - I also notched it for cable entry/exit. it works a treat for me for gigs, enabling me or another to walk it in on wheels more easily than a wheeled reel. a reel would be tidier but they are just as painful to re-coil at the end of a gig as it is for the tool box. it usually takes one of us 5 minutes to coil half of the snake back into the box. the little compartment lids in the top of mine have also been invaluable for keeping conversion connectors in.

first job at a gig, bring all the gear in,

second job put up the FOH speakers

third job, roll the snake box into position, pay out the snake cable to the desk, tape a connections list to the top of the box next to the stage box end and open the small compartment doors - have trained those musicians I work with regularly to connect themselves to snake after that - works like a dream :)..and having the flat top to sit the stage box on means that even in low light conditions everyone can see the connection numbers.

Archived