Safety wire spec'ing

fireball40k

Theres definitely a degree ow schwing from the chain being linked to the back.

That there is. For that reason I'd say its a much milder test than what's described in the standard Brian quotes above (even before repeating it a further 29 times).

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the clue was in the "not very scientific", ** laughs out loud **.

Suffice to say even an old partially rusty wire bond worked several times on a bit of angled steel support, simply because it was easier than to cast about for a way of cobbling up a bit of scaff bar.

It has only got to work the once then it's binned or turned into a keyring.

That said the bonds/chains do look tired anyway so we now have the perfect excuse to order some replacements.

Theres definitely a degree ow schwing from the chain being linked to the back.

That there is. For that reason I'd say its a much milder test than what's described in the standard Brian quotes above (even before repeating it a further 29 times).

Agreed, but the point is that swing reduces the impact loading, and thus is kinder all round. So I agree it doesn't replicate the drop test, but it is highly realistic for lanterns where the attachment point is on the lantern, rather than a loop round the yoke.

Archived