Mixing a computer projector in

Keeper of the Keys

I have been asked by a small group to recommend a beamer/projector (don't really know what the 'proper' English word is here) for them to use in projections during a play.

So I have looked around a bit and also tried to figure out more or less how much light from other sources it will have to deal with, but since so far whenever I was involved in a production with projectors they were not really an issue of "choose/find the best product for us" and more a "this is what we got/have, work with it" I am not sure what pitfalls to look out for....

So far it seems to me that the projector should output at least 2500 ANSI Lumen and all extra brightness that does fit in the budget is great.

Positioning obviously also depends on the beam angle of the projector but I'm having a hard time converting that from the numbers in the spec sheets (I can probably extrapolate it from the given data).

Though I know contrast ratio is important to some extent I am not sure how important....

So basically I am looking for some good advice.

The play is small, will be lit mainly by conventionals but also some led fixtures (maybe even a lot).

Rear projection or front projection? I've seen shows where no-one has thought about the fact that there are people between the projector and the screen, throwing horrible shadows....if you can get a steep enough angle on the projector then it can work with front projection, but you do have to look out for it. What are they planning to run the projections off, will there be constant projection or is there times when the projector is "blacked out" - a black slide will still project some light, so you may need a douser system to create a physical barrier to stop the light.

Rear projection or front projection? I've seen shows where no-one has thought about the fact that there are people between the projector and the screen, throwing horrible shadows....if you can get a steep enough angle on the projector then it can work with front projection, but you do have to look out for it. What are they planning to run the projections off, will there be constant projection or is there times when the projector is "blacked out" - a black slide will still project some light, so you may need a douser system to create a physical barrier to stop the light.

We have a projector just inside the pros under the 1st bar, and that allows for projection onto thr cyc without shadows from the actors until they get more than halfway upstage. The projector beam is quite steep. To get around the blackout problem we have a shutter in front of the projector which has a DMX channel assigned to it. As far as I know it's a just a standard "business" projector, nothing special, cost about 500 quid. I can find out details if need be.

Well it would probably be front projection and the more I look at it the more I tend to say that even-though it'll probably cost almost the same as the group buying their own projector they should just hire the one that is in the venue...

Maybe with the new device price in hand they can lower the rental price the venue wants to take....

Archived